How can I use Jira to track resource capacity?

starryeyes January 21, 2020

I am researching best to digitally track our team's resource capacity to better plan sprints and also find which team member is being overuse. At the moment, PMs use excel to track resource capacity, but the PM only tracks capacity for their project. It does not take into account members in their project can work on multiple projects under different PMs. 

Jira promotes Tempo as an application that helps with managing resources. Can I use Tempo in that IT resource (developer, testers, etc) enters his/her hours for the entire month and then allocated time for each projects? Thus, the system would calculate availability and usage base on the source. 

Example

Developer A enters his hours as follow

January - April: 300 hours (including PTO, Hoiday, sick etc)

Project A: 25%

Project B: 50%

Project C: 25%

When logging hours, the system check against total hours and percentage per application. Thus cross checking if Developer A is being overuse for a particular project. At the moment, this cannot be done in Tempo. Is there application in Jira that supports this logic?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
elvir.dzeladin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2020

When I work on resources capacity for my clients it often comes to the client preferences.

I usually suggest 3 plugins:

• Big picture
  • Portfolio
  • Tempo planner

Each plugin has pros and cons. You should try them out

Isger Neel July 23, 2020

I would add ActivityTimeline to the list.

0 votes
siobhan July 22, 2020

Hi @starryeyes

Float is rated the #1 resource management software on G2 and has just launched an integration with Jira. You can check out the reviews on G2 here, and their listing on the Atlassian Marketplace here. It gives you a nice high-level view of your team's schedule to see who's available and who's overbooked when you're resource planning!

0 votes
jimba_maha June 8, 2020

Tempo planner

Suggest an answer