How can I display the user who initially created an issue in Jira?

Will August 21, 2012

When viewing an issue, I want to display not noly who the issue is assigned to, and who the reporter is, but also who created the issue. We have some circumstances where issues get pinballed around (including the reporter), that it would be helpful to know who originally created the issue.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2012

Ah, yes, I create a user picker field called "creator" and populate it during the "create" transition. Never put it on an edit screen, job done.

I think I use a post-function from the Jira Suite Utilities to set the user to %current user%

Maciej Wojszkun August 21, 2012

You can create custom field eg. "creator" (type - user picker) and in post functions of create transition add "Copy Value From Other Field". As source choose "Current user" as destination the created custom field.

Jeff Scarsbrook September 13, 2012

Maciej, when you try to use the "Copy Value From Field to Field" post function, "Current User" is NOT an option in the Source drop-down list. Of course, it should be an easy thing to do, but unfortunately, they left out this very basic functionality.

The easiest way I found around this problem was to use the "Set field value from User Property value" post function. Unfortunately, I could not find the right key word to use for the "Source User Property name (key):" field to refer to the built-in user's name. So, I had to create a user property called "name" in the User Management area and manually populate that with the user's name. Then, I used that as the source in my post function. Of course, for the custom field that I created for the destination, I had to create it as a text field, as opposed to a user picker. When I tried it as a user picker type, the value was still blank after it tried to set it to the user's name property.

I realize that is a rather kludgy work-around, but in all honesty, we shouldn't have to try and jump through hoops simply to set a custom field's value to the Current User. Unfortunately, it appears that due to the current limitations in this system, we have no choice but to find our own workarounds for this basic piece of functionality. I mean, the Current User is easily known to the software at that point, and in fact, you can Assign to Current User (which just updates the Assignee field). So, we should be able to choose "User Name" as the source to set a custom field's value.

--EDIT

Maciej, I am using the OnDemand suite, so if you are using the installed version, I suppose there may be different choices for the Post functions.

Jeff Scarsbrook September 13, 2012

Nic, if you could share which post function you used, I would greatly appreciate your help, as I couldn't replicate your suggestion. When I tried to open the "Copy Value From Field To Field" post function, the source field was limited to the drop-down list of existing fields (current user was not an option). When I tried the "Set Field Value From User's Property Value" post function, I tried putting "%current user%" in the Source User Property Name (Key) field, but it did not populate my custom field. All of the other post functions I saw related only to the "simple issue fields", and thus could not be used for my custom field. I'd love to know how you accomplished this exactly, as I have the same question that I'm trying to work through right now.

-- EDIT

I just now realized that you probably have the installed version, and I am trying this on the OnDemand suite. However, due to Crucible/Fisheye not working with GitHub hosted projects in the OnDemand suite, we are now planning on going the installed route, so if you could share with me how you did this in the installed version, it would save me a little time during my setup.

Adam Smith August 13, 2014

Hello,

I am trying to do something similar. When an issue is resolved I would like a post function to record the current user into a custom field called "Resolver". We are using this to support certain reporting needs. We run the installed version.

Did you ever figure out the script to use? Thank you for any help,

Adam Smith

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2014

Ah, I missed all the follow ups on this...

It is the "Jira Suite Utilities", it is available OnDemand, and you use "update issue custom field"

My memory at the time of the original answer was not far off, but it's %%CURRENTUSER%%

Adam Smith August 13, 2014

Thanks Nic! That did the trick. Once I was in the right post function that macro actually shows up as a tool tip. Thanks so much for the help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events