• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • How can I check as Administrator what other users see in their account? / How can I help someone in their account without asking for their password?

How can I check as Administrator what other users see in their account? / How can I help someone in their account without asking for their password?

Manuel Heidler April 28, 2013

We have this scenario:

- 30 people of our own company using jira

- 20+ customers are working with jira

We setted everything up, wrote a guide how to setup permissions etc., but I found out that someone missed to set the permissions for specific users correctly, so it could happen that issues which should not be accessible to specific users are visible to them.

My question:
Does something like a master account exists which allows me to login as another user?
So I can check what they're seeing with their permissions.
Another benefit would be to configure their accounts for them, we have customers which are not familiar with Jira so we would like to help them.

Any idea how to do this?

Best,
Manuel

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

Hey Manuel, you might want to vote for SU for JIRA to be added to OnDemand, as it covers exactly what you're asking for. :)

Manuel Heidler April 29, 2013

Yes, this would be the best solution!

0 votes

Su for Jira, would be the best, the workaround with the user is ok for now.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2013

Hi Manuel, in my case I start having the same problem, so what I did it's create one or maybe to users that I use for this, when I want to see what another user can see I give to this user a create all the same roles, groups and permissions the real user has. It's very easy.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the workaround, have to do this until something like Su for Jira becomes available to the onDemand system

0 votes

Sure, in the end we have a look together on the system, but with different timezones, this is hard to deal with sometimes.

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

hi,

In my company we have >1500 users.

I think that

First; you must training your users; it's very importante.

Sencond; create a test instance simillar to your real instance

third ; for each group of user, create a test user who can do somethings like real user.

Hi,
Yes, training is one part, but in the end helping them directly within their account is more convinient.
We use Jira as ondemand service, therefore we can't create a second instance.
A test user is a good idea, I think about that.

Sure, in the end we have a look together on the system, but with different timezones, this is hard to deal with sometimes.

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

Hi,

You can use team viewer or other like it., if it's possible.

0 votes
Cyril Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

The Groovy Script Runner plugin has built in script to allow you to switch user. Only Jira administrators can run the script.

This is not possible in an ondemand installation of jira as far as I know.

Suggest an answer