How can I best manage multiple projects and one team?

Courtney April 5, 2017

Currently, I have one Board with 3 projects, but the work mostly relates to the same system, so we justified utilizing the board filter to include these projects. However, we have other projects we are starting and want to utilize best practices in Jira to plan multiple projects utilizing one team. Secondary question, how can we see and work with capactiy for each team member better?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2017

Generally, a team should have a board they share for teamwork, and others to help them with reporting or organisation.

I suspect you are already have the right model here.  A project can represent a team (in which case, the model is 1 team = 1 project = 1 board), but they can also represent other things that you want to collect issues together for.  Could be business projects, pieces of software, departments, even request types if you want to segregate support from development or development phases.  You separate these things out by whatever rules you need, but then use a board for a team to work together on them.

Capacity planning is another question.  Boards can help you a bit, but there isn't a lot of capacity planning functionality in JIRA, unless you start looking at add-ons such as Portfolio

Courtney April 6, 2017

ok. I am happy to continue to create additional projects and add them to our one board, if that is the best practice. It seems this would be the best way to also manage capactiy with the one team utilizing that board. 

Thanks very much.

Suggest an answer