How can I adjust the size of an image in the description & comments section of a JIRA task?

Patricia Lacayo March 28, 2019

My team had been uploading images in the past week, and the sizing was relatively small (our preferred size).

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 10.56.55 AM.png

Today, when they uploaded anything, it appeared much bigger:

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 10.57.11 AM.png

I'm not sure what caused one image to appear bigger than the other or why it changed. 

4 answers

5 votes
Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2019

Hi Patricia,

After image insertion you can resize image by dragging it's corner in visual mode or by specifying exact width and height in text mode using syntax: 

!projectavatar.png|height=250,width=250!
Gavin Cook March 11, 2020

@Aleksandr Zuevich 

Is the functionality to be able to drag the corner after insertion not available in the cloud version?

I always used to be able to drag the corners, but it seems that after we switched to the cloud version that was no longer possible.

Like Sara Figueroa likes this
Sara Figueroa March 30, 2020

I am having this issue as well, where I'm unable to drag corners of a photo in a comment.

Laura Kishimoto May 6, 2020

Same here on the cloud version.

• No resize handles on PNGs or JPGs.
  • No option for anything other than visual mode once the ticket is created, so the `!` syntax does not work.
Carlos Bernal May 20, 2020

Some problem with Cloud.

Yaron Cohen November 19, 2020

Try to activate the new Jira issue view. 

1 vote
Артур Гудиев December 15, 2020

Is there a way to resize pictures in a task description while maintaining the aspect ratio? 

MGG February 16, 2022

yes....specify only height

!projectavatar.png|height=250!
Like # people like this
0 votes
himashuk March 17, 2021
!projectavatar.png|width=250,height=250,thumbnail!
0 votes
NicMaree February 12, 2020

I've noticed that a .png file will always expand in the box more than a .jpg so maybe check the file format you have used.

Suggest an answer