How can I add tests from one project into a test plan for another project?

Scott Mitchell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 12, 2024

Without having to use Xray, or a plugin, is there a way to add tests from one project into the test plan of another project?

We have two products that have extremely similar features and UI and would like to be able to share tests between the two products without having to jump through hoops. We're not trying to add any other layers to our Jira setup and this is kind of a pain point where QA has to work through multiple projects to run our tests.

Is there a way to achieve what we're looking for here that I'm overlooking?

2 answers

0 votes
Marc - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2024

Hi @Scott Mitchell 

Welcome to the community.

Depending on the project types that your are using and related the permissions on the projects you should be able to use exiting tests in multiple projects.

The issue you might encounter are:

If you are using team-managed projects, these are containers and you can't use information from other projects.

Or if a single one of the projects is team-managed, the same issue applies.

Both your projects should be company-managed projects and you should have access to both projects.

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2024

I'm not sure what you mean by "add tests". Different teams use Jira in different ways to support their testing needs.

For example, many teams use the Zephyr add-on, which supports Issue Type "Test" directly and in QA-friendly ways (e.g. custom designed test cycles, metrics, etc).

I suspect from your post you are not using any add-ons for your testing needs? If you are, please be specific about that.

If you are not, then you'll have to provide more details about how your one team is "using tests" in Jira, and what isn't working for the other team.

Scott Mitchell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 15, 2024

We are indeed using Zephyr.

We have two projects within Jira, example: PROJ-1 and PROJ-2. We have created individual tests within PROJ-1 that we would like to add to a test cycle within Jira for PROJ-2, since there are multiple shared components. But it limits me to only being able to search and add tests that were created in PROJ-2.

I see 4 ways to add tests to a test cycle. Individually it won't let me search for items in another project. Via Search Filter removes any items that I've added to it from other projects. From Another Cycle only lets me look in this project. Via JQL Search hard codes the project into the JQL query. 

At this point we create a cycle in each project to house the tests for the feature on which we're working. Then we create a test plan associated with the project doing the work. Then we link each test to the test plan and work off of that from our sprint board. It would be nice, however, to have all of our tests in the same cycle.

I hope I've done a better job explaining my situation now that I'm not really frustrated at how the app works.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events