How can I accurately measure request resolution time when actual start differs to ticket creation?

Deleted user August 17, 2017

I want to produce reports on the resolution time for all incidents within a certain time period. However, the start time I want to measure from may be different to the time of ticket creation in instances where the service team recieve a request via phone and cannot create the ticket immediately (due to severity - i.e. the request is so important that it must be sorted out immediately, rather than a ticket created).

What approach should I take to include the time between incident reporting to incident ticket creation?

My approach has been to create a custom "time/date reported" field that is filled on creation of the JIRA ticket. When reporting, I can then calculate time between "time/date reported" and "resolution" to find resolutio time. This works fine. However, the issue is that I want to exclude the time spent in pending from the resolution time. I created a metric, "time in pending" that is calculated based on status change to and from pending. This works fine. The issue is - when I try to export this value with all of the other data (by exporting incient data with a filter), this metric column can be shown but is not populated either on the webapp or in the exported csv file.

Is there some way to include this metric in this exported data, or do i need to calculate the SLAs in a completely different way?

An alternative is to have a custom field, delay time, with is given on ticket creation to measure delay between incident reporting and ticket creation. If I used this approach, I would use the built-in JIRA reporting, which would easily output resolution times excluding pending time, but I don;'t think I can add this extra delay time automatically.

Any helpw otld be appreciated.

1 answer

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2017

Your custom field approach is correct.

The reason why the SLA metrics cannot be exported is here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-62457

Regards

Deleted user August 20, 2017

Great, thanks. Do you have a suggestion on how to report on SLAs easily? I can easily export start and end date/time for incidents but calculating the time spent in pending is important to reflect true resolution time.

I know I can manually get metric values for individual inidents but are there any ways I am overlooking to be able to export at once?

What should my approach be?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events