How I can copy an existing board, and set it up so it doesn't affect the original board?

Yohei Hashiguchi January 6, 2021

Currently, I am working on the new board for 2021. I would like to copy an existing board for a new project. I have created a new board, however it contains the previous tickets. I just need to obtain the original format. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thank you. 

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2021

When I am setting up new boards, I keep the original board that I want to copy up on one screen, adjust the swimlanes on the new board. On the board that you wish to edit, click the three dots on the top right hand corner: 

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 7.40.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 7.41.44 PM.pngThen adjust the columns and status mappings to match. 

Thank you for your response. Yes, I have already done for this before, however the previous tickets are still exist in the new board. Do I need to change the filter for this? 

Yohei Hashiguchi January 7, 2021

I sorted out this issue. Thank you very much.:) 

Vida Antic January 31, 2023

Hi @Yohei Hashiguchi - could you advise how you sorted this out? I can't seem to figure out how it works. 

Thanks! 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2021

There are (broadly) two things you might be talking about here:

• Board configuration
  • Board content (issues)

If you were to copy board configuration, then you do not need to worry about any setup.  You're creating a new board, independent of the original.

Content is a very different matter.  Boards are not containers of issues, they are a view of a selection of issues.  What they select is determined by the configuration, so if you were to just "copy a board" without making changes to its config, you'll find you have two boards showing the same issues.   And, of course, because both boards are viewing the same issue, a change to an issue in one board will be reflected in the other.  

Generally, people never want to "copy a board", they want "something vaguely similar to another board".  You should ask what parts of a board you actually want to replicate.

Thank you for your response. I was testing for some tickets. Let's call the new board is A and old one is B. I have raised a testing ticket for A, however it does affect to B too. Is this depends on the filter?

Yohei Hashiguchi January 7, 2021

0 votes
Answer accepted
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

When you copied a board from existing. 

So the board filter also copied to new board.

Go to New board - board settings - board filter - update this board filter as you needed , I mean which issues you would like to display.

Thank you for your answer. I have a question regarding (board filter). Is this mean (Quick Filters)? 

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

no board filter,

quick filters are second level JQL which differentiate issues from main board.

image.png 

Like Liam Green likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events