Ho to quickly delete 40-50k issues from JIRA

Robert Strzecha April 12, 2017

We are adding around 2k issues per day. We don't need to archive them after they are completed. At the moment we can delete them only using bulk but this action allows to remove only 1k issues. Is there any chance to remove all of them at once?

Now we are wasting time by manually deleting issues.  

Appreciate your help in this request.  

1 answer

1 vote
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2017

Hi Robert,

I found this, which may help on server but not for cloud. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/How-do-you-increase-the-bulk-change-maximum/qaq-p/417702

But if it were me, I would automate. I would write a script using the REST API that would run daily, deleting issues after a certain amount of time after closure.

Ron Gates April 12, 2017

With ScriptRunner you can configure Escalation Service that can run periodically and remove all the issues found by defined JQL query - see the screenshot of example configuration:

jira_periodic_bulk_delete.pngAbove example will run every 60 minutes and delete all the issues found by following query:

project = "Jira" AND Status in (Closed, Resolved)

Here is the script that performs delete using "silent" deleteIssueNoEvent method which is perfect for automated bulk deletes:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
def issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager();
issueManager.deleteIssueNoEvent(issue);

I tested above approach myself and it works.

Like # people like this
GaryM November 7, 2017

It works, the issue(s) get deleted, but atlassian-jira.log contains 2-lines of ERROR message for each issue deleted. (Jira 7.5.1) (ScriptRunner 5.2.1)

2017-11-08 01:07:01,166 Caesium-1-4 ERROR admin     [c.o.s.c.jira.utils.WorkflowUtils] Errors: {}
    Error Messages: [You can not update a null issue.]
2017-11-08 01:07:01,169 Caesium-1-4 ERROR admin     [c.o.s.c.jira.utils.WorkflowUtils] Not attmpting transition

Null Issue, I guess because it deleted and nothing to transition.

Any ideas to suppress the messages?

Anja Nagel February 11, 2021

Hello,

we have exactly the same problem. The Escalation service works great, but still the messages are written to the log-file.
(Jira V8.8.1 ), (Scriptrunner 6.18.0)

Can the messages be turned off or ignored?

Martin Runge July 29, 2021

It works perfectly and the issue(s) get deleted. Thanks josh!

aas February 16, 2023

Does anybody know will it slow down jira if the result of JQL Query will 130K issues? May be there's some way to limit query result?  

Suggest an answer