HipChat/Jira integration - Failed authentication

Daniel Perdisatt October 3, 2017

Hi,

We have installed hip-chat in our development environment as a poc for senior stakeholder's, we are trying to integrate with our Jira server to use Jira as the Hip-chat user directory.

when we enter the connection details we get the following error

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidAuthenticationException: Application failed to authenticate.

I'm am logged into Bit-bucket as the system admin user and using the system admin credentials of Jira, I'm not sure as to why the authentication is failing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Dan

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2017

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems trying to integrate Jira with HipChat.  Given the error you posted it looks like you might be running into a similar problem as JIRA throws Application failed to authenticate error when configuring a Crowd User Directory

Granted that KB is in regards to configuring Jira to use a Crowd user directory.  But I think this could be helpful in understanding your specific problem.   I would recommend recreating this problem once more, and then take a look at your $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file.  It should have an explicit stacktrace error and possibly a cause as to why it is displaying this.  If it appears to be the same error as that KB, then you can probably follow the same resolution steps there to adjust the proxy configuration to resolve this.

If your error is different please let us know and we can investigate this further.

Regards,
Andy

Daniel Perdisatt October 5, 2017

Hi Andrew,

When i check the Jira log when trying to set up the authentication, i don't see an error on the Jira server log in the file specified.

another thing i had noticed, we have a dev atlassian suite set up, jira, bitbucket, confluence... they all have dns entries

https://jiradev....

https://bitbucketdev..

now we have setup https://hipchatdev...

when i create a room in a project in jiradev, the issue shows up in the hipchatdev room, but when i try access the ticket, it bring me to my jira production instance? and when i go into integration it shows as one integration but has the production URL? I have specified the dev url when setting up the connection. idea as to why this happens, it maybe something to with the issue i am having above.

thanks,

Dan

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2017

Hi Dan,

I suspect your Hipchat instance might just be confused as to which Jira instance it is integrated with.   I created a support request to better address this problem.

Once a solution is found there, I would like to update this post so that we can share the solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events