Get Statuses in associated workflows

Jony Gurfinkel November 27, 2022

Hi,

Is any query in DB that can retry which status is associated in a specific workflow? 

I know that the info can be taken from https://jira.solaredge.com/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa 

but I need to extract all the info to excel file for analysis and cannot copy for each status, as I have ~300 statuses and I need to identify them on which workflows they are located, in order to map it to a project at the end.

Thanks,

Jony 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2022

Not a simple one.  The workflows are not stored in a database format, you'd have to read the workflow table, get the XML from each one, and then parse the XML to find the IDs of each status in use, then join the ID list with the status table to see their names and categories etc.

A flat list like that is not really going to help you do much "analysis" on status.  Why are you looking for this list?  What is the question you want answered by doing this?

Jony Gurfinkel November 28, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

I'm looking for that cause I found in the system to many statuses that have the same meaning, like:

ToDo

To Do 

TODO 

In total I have 300 statuses, so for sure I can merge most of them or at least to decided on a single status for each transition. 

It was created long time ago so , I would like to merge all the statuses to one.

Do you have any other idea how I can identify where each status is located? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

I thought it would be a rationalisation, but didn't want to presume and write a follow-up that might not be relevant!

Getting a list isn't going to be of much use to you as information to base your rationalisation on.  All it would tell you is what workflows are using which status, and that tells you nothing about what your rationalisation should be doing.

Your rationalisation is absolutely the right thing to do.  To the point where I wouldn't even bother asking your users why they've got three different status for one that they should have simply reused.  

• Start by going to Admin -> Issues -> Status
  • Look through the list to identify possible candidates to be merged
  • For each set that should be merged, look at the third column in the list, which contains "X associated workflows" and links to a list of workflows using that status.
  • For each status you want to merge, identify which one is used by the most workflows - you're going to keep this one, even if it has a name you don't want to use in the future (This minimises the amount of investigation and editing you're going to need to do).
  • For the others that you're not going to keep, you will need to click through to each workflow and either identify where it is used so that you can decide if you can stop using it completely (flip the project over to use a workflow scheme you're going to keep), or edit the workflow, changing the "linked status" for each step using a status you want rid of.
  • When you've flipped all the workflow status over to the ones you want to keep, you can delete the now unused status, and rename the status that you kept if it was not the right name.

Using your "to do" example, lets imagine you find "ToDo" used by 50 workflows, "To Do" used by 10 and "TODO" used by 5.  You decide you want to use "To Do" in the future, but editing the 55 workflows using a different one is going to take a lot longer than editing the 15 using "To Do" and "TODO".  So flip those 15 over to "ToDo", and then when all 65 workflows are using "ToDo", delete "To Do" and "TODO" from the list of status and then rename "ToDo" to "To Do"

Suggest an answer