Filtering JIRA entries by current month in sprint name?

acertainsubset May 19, 2021

My team uses the sprint field of our tasks to track what month a given task is expected to be completed by. Is there any way to create a filter which uses the current month as text input for the sprint field?

e.g. the JQL filter for the current month is "sprint = 'May 2021'".

Is there a way to create a filter along the lines of "sprint = 'CurrentMonth() CurrentYear()'"

I've seen startOfMonth() used for certain queries, but it looks like this only applies to fields that use a date instead of text. There's also typically a prefix for each sprint to define which project the sprint falls under, so a complete sprint name will look something like  "PROJECTCODE MONTH YEAR".

The tasks themselves could be created several months in advance, so other fields like created or updated won't be useful.

2 answers

1 vote
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2021
0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2021

Hi @acertainsubset 

I do not believe that is possible with out-of-the-box Jira Server.  You would need a marketplace addon to enhance JQL, or to use an automation rule to dynamically build the query based upon the current month, or export the issues to a spreadsheet for reporting.

What problem are you trying to solve by creating this JQL query?

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer