Field permission and Field value permissions

I have two related questions.

1. Is it possible to restrict either visability or editability of a field. I want some users to be able to edit the field but not others.

2. I want some user to be able to select some values of a field but not other value. For example. I want one group of users to not be able to set sevirity of an issue to 1 or 2.

Perhaps these are not accomplished with features of the product but just how fields are offered/structured kind of a work arround to accomplish the same goal which I am fine with.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes

1. No. Jira does not do field-level security. There are plugins that do a lot of it, but you can't use them in OnDemand. There are some workarounds at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1330 though (the obvious one is to remove fields from "edit" screens, and then hack your workflow to have transitions which can be protected with conditions and go through screens which do have the fields on them)

2. Not really. There's nothing built-in to do this, but you could try some javascript tricks. Again, you could find plugins to help... except you can't use them in OnDemand.

Is JIRA now capable of field level security?

No. Atlassian don't rate the usefulness particularly highly and have no need or desire to stomp on their partner's offerings on the subject.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,000 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot