Field Configuration vs. Field Configuration Schemes

Reynalda Torres June 25, 2020

What are the difference between the Field Configuration and Field Configuration Schemes?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

Hey Reynalda,

The scheme is attached to the project and can be made up of multiple Field Configurations. Each Field Configuration can be attached to one or more Issue Types. The result is that you can make certain fields Required for certain issue types on a project but not others. 

Reynalda Torres June 26, 2020

John: I'm not understanding the statement you made. Can you direct me to sites or links that explain this in more details. Thank you for answering my questions but I'm still not understanding this. Sorry.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

Sure - here is the link to the Field Configuration guidance. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/changing-a-field-configuration-844500798.html

John: I THANK YOU and understood the field required and hidden but I need to understand the Field Config. and and the Field Config Scheme?

Sorry, just trying to learn more about this topic.

THANK YOU so much for the help!!!!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2020

Thank you, Reynalda - I am happy to help.  :-)

Did the document help you to understand better? Do you still need additional help?

I need to understand what is 

Field Configuration?

and what is Field Configuration Schemes?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult just trying to learn.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2020

No worries.

The Field Configuration tells the system what fields should be required when the issues are created. It also can be used to help text for the field. 

But the Field Configuration is actually created for one or more issue types. So if you want the Description field, for example, to be required for all issue types for that project, then you just have one Field Configuration. 

But if you want Description to only be required, for example, for Tasks, then you would create one Field Configuration for Tasks where the Description is required, and one Field Configuration for all other issue types. 

Both field configurations would be place under a single Field Configuration Scheme because it is the Scheme that actually gets attached to a project. 

Does that help?

Like # people like this

It sure does!!! :-)

Thank YOU so much!!! ;-)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2020

😁

Like Reynalda Torres likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders