Expose linked issue to user

Konstantina April 16, 2021

Hi

I deal with internal JIRAs with permissions allowing my colleagues to see and edit tickets - both tickets raised by clients and tickets raised by my colleagues. 

I'm looking for a way to configure roles and permissions/jira issue security in a way so that:

*client JIRA user can see their client JIRA tickets as well as the link to the internal JIRA ticket once the two issues are connected via Linked Issues

*clients cannot see any information in the internal ticket - only the JIRA ID for reference linked to their client JIRA 

Is this possible? 

thanks a lot!

1 answer

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

If I can clarify... your client users have all the access they need right now in Jira, except that you'd like them to also be able to see that there are linked issues.

In other words, you want client users to be able to see the links (to any "internal tickets") but not see the "internal tickets" themselves.

Is that accurate?

Konstantina April 16, 2021

hi Mykenna 

That's exactly the requirement.

thanks,

Konstantina 

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

Well, Jira Cloud (my assumption of your hosting type) doesn't allow for that fine-grained customization of UI and permissions.

However, here's a creative solution to consider. Use Jira Automation to copy the links into a text field which is visible to your client users. The rule could run perhaps hourly during business hours M-F, scanning only changed issues (since it was last run), and update only issues with links.

It's a bit of a hack, but is an out-of-the-box way to accomplish your goal. Here's a quick proof-of-concept rule that I tried:

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.29.35 AM.png

This just proves that using a Smart Value to access issueLinks can trivially convert it into a string. You'll want your rule to use a Scheduled trigger, only run on "issues changed since last run", loop through issues which have links, and modify that one new custom text field.

Be aware of the Automation rule execution count limitations, which are based on your Jira plan level (this is from the main Jira pricing page). Note that if this rule is configured to run against a single project, these limitations don't apply.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.36.02 AM.png

There may be other options. This was the first one I thought of.

Konstantina April 19, 2021

hi Mykenna

Thank you so much for the answer and the suggested workaround!

thanks,

Konstantina

Konstantina April 20, 2021

Hello again

I was wondering if you would suggest the same solution for on prem JIRA as opposed to cloud-hosted JIRA? 

Thanks,

Konstantina

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2021

The limitations on that are pretty much the same for on-prem so the solution of Mykenna is suitable as well.

However on on-prem (Jira Server) Automation is not included - there is a Lite version but the "full" version is a paid App.

Suggest an answer