Exporting and importing issues from one project to another

xvachon January 12, 2022

Good day,

I would like to export a specific epic with related tasks and linked subtasks from one Scrum project to another Scrum project. I'm facing two problems at the moment :

1. When I select Export CSV, it exports the whole project instead of the specific epic and its related tasks. Is it possible to export specific issues?

2. When I import the .csv file in the other project, the task names are kept but the descriptions and relations between epic/tasks/sub-tasks are lost. I can see the parent IDs and the descriptions in the .csv file, so the issue is not caused by the export. 

I'm looking for solutions and input from the community to address the 2 issues I'm having.

Thank you for your help!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

So I assume you are choosing export/import because the projects are on different Jira instances? Otherwise you can simply use Move feature which is much much easier.

to export all issues associated with a specific epic do the following:

1. create a JQL that captures all of the tasks/stories in the epic of choice - "epic link" = xxxxxx . Note if you have sub-tasks you will need to deal with them separately .
  2. choose the export icon
  3. in the new instance/project recreate the Epic
  4. import the exported issues and ensure the epic link column on the import file has the new epic name

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events