Errors in CSV import

Gerhard_Basson December 11, 2018
ERROR - Unexpected failure occurred. Importer will stop immediately. Data may be in an unstable state:

Error on the first record. What do I fix?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gerhard_Basson December 13, 2018

Seems we will need to wait for the Next-Gen projects to gain more functionality.

Chris Knowlton December 13, 2019

Checking back 1 year later and it still seems like it is not working. I'm trying to upload an extremely simple CSV to test and getting the same error.

Unexpected failure occurred. Importer will stop immediately. Data may be in an unstable state
Marko Milisavljevic May 3, 2020

After troubleshooting this for a while, now I see this - it would be helpful if they didn't list next-gen projects in dropdown while selecting what projects to import CSV into.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2018

Check if anything was created, and if it was, edit it, to ensure it is mostly valid.

Then check the application log to see what the error was.  <Jira home>/log/atlassian-jira.log

Gerhard_Basson December 11, 2018

Nothing was imported. The log throws an error on the first record stating "unexpected error" and stops. 

I am trying to import a CSV file into a next-gen project with a custom issue type and custom fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2018

That's good, it means no harm done!

I don't think Next-gen projects support full CSV imports yet - you have to stick to the non-custom things that they arrive with when created.

Suggest an answer