Error when importing sub tasks

Gina Preoteasa September 25, 2020

I can't import sub-tasks and I wonder if it's from the configuration file.

Sample file:

IssueType, Summary, Labels, Original Estimate, Due Date, Sequence, My parent
Story,"Define Technical Vision", "Activity", , , 1,
Sub-task,"Describe the System Context","Task" , ,2,1
Sub-task,"Develop Technical Vision","Task", , 3,1
Story,"Business Objective Understanding", ,4,
Sub-task,"Build Software Engineering and Product Management Knowledge" , , 5,4
Sub-task,"Define Software Quality Management Measures", , 6,4
Sub-task,"Assess Skill/training gap", , 7,4

Config file:

{
"config.version" : "2.0",
"config.project.from.csv" : "false",
"config.encoding" : "UTF-8",
"config.email.suffix" : "@",
"config.field.mappings" : {
"IssueType" : {
"jira.field" : "issuetype"
},
"My parent" : {
"jira.field" : "subtask-parent-id"
},
"Summary" : {
"jira.field" : "summary"
},
"Labels" : {
"jira.field" : "labels"
},
"Sequence" : {
"jira.field" : "issue-id"
},
"Original Estimate" : {
"jira.field" : "timeoriginalestimate"
},
"Due Date" : {
"jira.field" : "duedate"
}
},
"config.value.mappings" : { },
"config.delimiter" : ",",
"config.project" : {
"project.type" : null,
"project.key" : "MW",
"project.description" : null,
"project.url" : null,
"project.name" : "Methods Workspace",
"project.lead" : "gina.boca@ro.ibm.com"
},
"config.date.format" : "dd/MMM/yy h:mm a"
}

How should I map Sequence and My Parent ?  I linked Sequence with Issue Id from Category Links & Sub-tasks and My Parent with Parent ID from the same category. However the import of  sub tasks is unsuccessful.

• Subtask 'Describe the System Context' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.
  • Subtask 'Develop Technical Vision' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.
  • Subtask 'Build Software Engineering and Product Management Knowledge' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.
  • Subtask 'Define Software Quality Management Measures' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.
  • Subtask 'Assess Skill/training gap' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.

Thank you for your guidance.

3 answers

1 vote
Sufi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 18, 2021

Use the JIRA ID for parent ID like ABC-123 (the ones in the URL). Putting this out here since I found it today. Other places it mentions that you have to use the parentId which is not correct. 

Deepak Narayanan M
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 5, 2021

Thanks. It worked!!

Like Heleen Bouwer likes this
0 votes
Vinod Kotiya February 23, 2023

All are giving wrong answers and Even JIRA documentation is wrong. The parent ID should not be numerical but the existing key. Here is example of how to add sub-task to existing task or story. All are giving wrong answer by importing new task and sub-task. Capture.PNG

0 votes
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2020

Hi @Gina Preoteasa ,

This is explained here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/importing-data-from-csv-938847533.html

The fourth issue will be sub-task of the second issue upon import, assuming you match the 'Issue ID' and 'Parent ID' fields in your CSV file to the Issue Id and Parent Id Jira fields. Issue ID can be any unique number, but that should be mentioned in the parent ID against the sub-task column.

Gina Preoteasa September 28, 2020

Thank you, but it doesn't work.

Can you please share directly a sample csv and configuration file , please, so I can customize it afterwards to my needs?

Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2020

@Gina Preoteasa - The attached screenshot is a simple csv file. You can create one with those columns and try the import.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events