Epic Burndown report shows incorrect data

Elad Ben-Noam May 5, 2020

Hi,

I'm not using the "epic burndown" report much so I couldn't figure out the problem of my customer, I'd like your advice.

Jira info: Jira Data center v 8.5.4 . regular scrum board.

The "epic burndown" report shows only 44 story points for an epic that has 165 story points, many of the issues that were finished on previous sprints are not shown on the report while the "epic report" shows the info correctly.

Did it happened to anyone?

burndown report.PNGEpic Report.PNG

2 answers

2 votes
Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2020

This may be related to another post I just answered:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Epic-Burndown-Chart-Missing-Story/qaq-p/1373650

Basically, from my tests, if you add an issue to an epic during creation, that issue will never display on the Epic Burndown--even if you remove it and add it again.  You should only add issues to epics after they have been created.

Dale Wolfe October 30, 2020

Atlassian has validated this issue.  Please vote/watch for it here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-20748

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2020

Hello @Elad Ben-Noam

Thank you for reaching out.

It is pretty common that the Epic Burndown Report and the Epic Report consider a different number of Story points since they work in completely different ways. Please, allow me to provide you with more details:

Burndown reports are calculated as "point in time" instead of the actual sprints or issues. These reports take into account when issues change and get updated retrospectively.

So, if an issue is closed at a point in time, it is counted against the sprint that was active at that time in the Burndown report. This issue does not have to be associated with that sprint in any way.

Now, Epic reports are much more straightforward as it looks to the issues that have been part of the sprint at any given point in time.

For more information about the details above, you can check the following documentation:

Burndown reports showing different story points than other reports 

That being said, to better understand why any issues/Story points are not returned in the Burndown Chart, we suggest to check the history of those issues and search for any incoherencies that caused that issue to be not considered in the report.

For more information about those reports, check the links below:

Epic Report 

Epic Burndown 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Elad Ben-Noam May 7, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves  Thank you so much for your answer.

I understand that the amount of story point per sprint can be changed if an issues is closed after the sprint ended so it will be included in the next sprint.

I also checked a few stories that didn't appear in the sprint of the Epic Burndown report and found that their resolution date\time is before the sprint close date\time so I don't understand why they are not shown.

But more importantly, I do not understand why the total number of story points of the epic is different than the real amount of story points (this is 1 team, working on a single scrum board on their own project).

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2020

Hello @Elad Ben-Noam

Thank you for your details.

Unfortunately, I believe we will not be able to identify what could be causing both reports to display different story points without taking a closer look at your issues, fields and reports.

That being said, I suggest opening a ticket with our internal support using the link below:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Once we properly troubleshoot it, please share the solution in this community thread so it may help other people.

Piotr Wegert August 11, 2020

@Elad Ben-Noamdid Atlassian provide some kind of reply to this? I just came across the same problem. When an epic is assigned during issue creation the issue will not be included in the Epic Report. I also noticed that there is no entry of the epic assignment in the Issue History pane which might be the root cause of this problem if the report is keying off issue history entries.

Elad Ben-Noam August 13, 2020

@Piotr Wegert  -

There was no straight forward answer for that.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to extract the data they requested from me.

You might be right about the cause...

Dale Wolfe October 29, 2020

I am also experiencing this on jira server v8.5.3

I noticed it is "fixable" by updating the Epic Link field for children (stories/tasks) in the Epic.  Specifically, I created a dumb Epic, did a bulk change of children to it, then bulk change back to the original Epic.  Epic burndown report is then correct.

It appears they aren't calling a function/method during creation that they are when the field is modified directly.

@Elad Ben-Noamand @Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_  I've created a support ticket and will keep you updated with their response.

Suggest an answer