Empty Custom Field Display on View Issue Screen

Shiloh_Gealogo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2019

Hi There, 

We created a few custom fields that we want the business team to fill in on various issues. One of them is a multi line text field. That field does not appear on the View Issue screen unless it is actually filled in. We are trying to figure out a way to have it appear on the screen all of the time, even when it is empty so the Users can just click it and fill it in instead of having to go to Edit and search for the field in the list. Any ideas? 

~Shiloh 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2019

You can't. JIRA only shows fields with values. I had management complain about it and forced me to put a default value, TBD, so the field would show. It was a disaster. Over 50% of closed issues had TBD as the value.  In practice, people don't fill in fields that aren't required and they don't change fields with values. 

Shiloh_Gealogo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2019

Well that's less than ideal. Thanks Joseph. I am glad to know that I was not losing my mind when I looked all over and couldn't find a setting for it. 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2019

It's to keep details clutter down. some issues have lots of fields that may not be used and showing them would make the screen too busy. It's been this way forever so I don't think it will change. 

Phillip Youngren December 2, 2019

It should be an option.  We put all of the fields no the screen because we want them, not because we want them hidden on some edit screen.  It should be something that I get to choose the behavior of.  I don't mind putting in default values for custom fields, but it's pretty annoying that time tracking doesn't show up until an original estimate is in.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Alexander Post _venITure_ February 22, 2020

Hi @Shiloh_Gealogo

you should checkout the answer here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-can-I-display-empty-custom-fields/qaq-p/445311#U1308254

It is possible to display empty fields. Than your users do not need to search for the field. Alternative you can do a transition to itself and display just that field. 

0 votes
Rich Wolverton September 18, 2019

We have two ways a handling this.

1. For text fields we use Behaviors to enter some boiler plate text in the custom field

2. For Group Single User select field we have created a special user with name Blank with no permissions and simply made them a member of the group being selected from and then set Blank as the default value

Sam Huawey November 2, 2023

Not a good idea for Blank user. It will cost $$$ for your company. Especially if you have many plugins.

Suggest an answer