E-Mail notification for several jira users every time something has changed in a specific project

Stefan August 17, 2022

Hi,

lets say we have a specific project. Now we want Jira to sent an E-Mail to a predefined group of Jira Users every time something was changed in that project. A change for example includes the creation of issues, a new comment in an issue, the upload of a new document in an issue etc.

The group of Jira Users are about 10 users that should receive the E-Mail.

We know this can be done by adding the 10 Jira users as a watcher. But that is manual work every time a new issue is created. We are looking for a "smarter" way.

Any ideas or suggestsions for this?

Regards
Stefan

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Hello @Stefan 

I would recommend that you create a unique Notification Scheme for the project and modify that to notify your users.

Who controls who those 10 people are? Is that list going to change. If it has people A, B, C, etc. today, and next month you change it to people X, Y, Z, etc. who would you expect to get notification about changes on the old issues - the original 10 people or the updated list of 10 people?

If you want to let the Project Admin manage that list of people, then I would suggest that you create a Project Role for "Receives all notifications". Let the Project Admin populate that role in that Project. Then update the Notification Scheme assigned to just that project to add that new Role to the events for which notifications should be sent to the group.

I'm assuming that the people in the list are licensed Jira users who will have permissions in the project. If they are not otherwise granted permissions in the project, you may also need to update the Permissions Scheme in the project to assign the Role to relevant permissions, like Browse Projects.

Stefan August 18, 2022

Thanks Trudy, I will try do that and will give Feedback if it works as expected.

The list will change rarely. Right now there are 7 people on the list, and there might be no change for a year or longer.

Stefan August 23, 2022

It seems to work fine. We still have to do a few tests, but it should work as expected. Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events