E-Mail notification by change in "priority/rank" (position within a sprint)

Andrés Trujillo January 15, 2020

Hello,

first I need to clarify the term priority in my case. It's not the priority like "Blocker" (e.g. the severity) of a ticket, but the position within a sprint. Sadly this is also called priority. 
If a ticket is moved from the highest position within a sprint to a lower one the "priority/rank" is changed also. The value of the field looks like this: 1|hzh37q:zr15zzzzx

I'd like to be notified if this priority is changed.

Best regards,

Andrés

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2020

Hello Andrés,

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand that you would like to send notifications every time someone manually changes the rank of an issue in a Sprint. 

Please, allow me to give you some concepts about the Rank field so we can better know we are on the same page here:

The Rank field is defined by a specific algorithm with more complexity than simple numbers, in order to improve the application performance when updating the issue position. Explaining better, every time you update the rank of a specific issue, you will automatically change the rank of many other issues in the Sprint consequently, so the rank field is built this way to avoid performance problems when updating all the issues that were affected by that single issue movement in the Sprint.

With that in mind, we have created a feature request to allow the users to configure a notification when an issue rank got updated, however, our developers have decided to not implement due to the following reasons:

1 - Low number of users requiring it

2 - Big effort of configuring a way to identify only the issue which Rank was manually updated and not all the others that were consequently updated by the movement

3 - Many performance issues would be caused by considering the Rank update as an event

That being said, we clearly understand how useful this functionality would be for some cases and apologize that this decision may disappoint you.

As a workaround, I would suggest you advise your Sprint managers to use a different trigger to notify the relevant users that an issue has changed position, like updating a specific field in the issue.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kim P September 8, 2022

I can appreciate this response and the challenge but isn't it easy enough to identify the "trigger" issue and send notification for that issue?  One issue rank is changed by user, the rest are system/automatic.  Seems there should be a way to discern.

Suggest an answer