Dumb search question

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Hi all

I've got a dumb 'contains' search question:

We've got a scripted field which grabs all the linked issue keys and their current status, so we can allow customers to see what is happening to their reported bugs when they look in their incidents (like INC0-2404 is linked to SQS-289: Closed, and GENQ-12323: Rejected)

What I'd really quite like to do is go from the opposite direction, where we look at GENQ-12345 which is open, but linked to INC-1234 which is Withdrawn or Closed

I can quite happily search for "assignee is not empty AND "Problem Management Status" ~ "INC*" AND "Problem Management Status" ~ "Closed" ORDER BY updated DESC, priority DESC, created ASC" and get quite a few of the results I want, but searching for "INC-????: Closed" just gives me an error

Any way to ensure that I only return the closed flag when associated with searching for an INC -

as loads of the results are things like "INC-990: Parked

GENQ-10227: Closed"

Cheers

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Is "Problem Management Status" the name of the scripted field?

I'm guessing that you have only set up this field for the purpose of searching, as this information is all available on the issue anyway?

What is the error you get when using "INC-????: Closed" ?

Anyway, I'd consider using a jql function, like:

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = INC and status = Closed", "blocks") and status = Open

JQL functions are availabe in script runner as of 2.1-BETA-1. Problem with this is that you need to know the link type name, but I will probably make this more generic, so if you don't specify a link name/direction then it means any link. I never have much luck with wildcard queries in jira.

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Hi Jamie - the error I get is:

Unable to parse the text 'INC-????: Closed' for field 'Problem Management Status'.

I'm currently using Jira 4.4.5 in our live environment, and will test what you've sugested - we always use the link type of 'Incident Report' so that looks like it should work when we upgrade in a month or so

You're right about wildcards, but even something that *should* work properly like "Problem Management Status" ~ "\"INC-4208: Closed\"" returns no results, which makes me somewhat suspect of the index

I'm just updating my development instance to see if it's resolved in the new version, but it's likely that I'm just confusing the freetext searcher!

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

I think if I change the display so I put some kind of explicit coding, it will work until I upgrade - but there are a couple it just won't find

Infuriatingly, I can find 2 out of 3 of my sample closed incidents, I can find INC-4520, INC-1214 but not INC-1208

And if you wrap the search string in quotes (to include the space) then obviously wildcards go out the window

I'll try your suggestion Jamie and let you know how it goes on our dev server

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Thanks Jamie - that rocks

Now I just need to upgrade the live instance to 5.2!

Perfect!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events