Dont allow users to create new customer account but enable email request

Halby V December 2, 2016

Hi,

I am stuck with a requirement for my JIRA Service Desk Cloud env.

The scenario is that I need to disable the option to sign up the customers from customer portal.

I went to Site Administration> User Management > Sign Up Options, did not check the option to "turn on self-sign on" (that means system should not allow users to sign up).

But when i go to customer portal, it still has the option to sign in and sign up.

also, I need to have email request enabled. It's ok when the user that sends emails account is auto created!

Thanks in Advance!

//H

6 answers

0 votes
Tom Lister August 19, 2020

I have a similar issue.

We have an internal service desk which auto creates new account for users. This leads to a hotchpotch of the business emails from LDAP accounts and various personal emails used to raise requests.

we would like to restrict to known users only so would set Customer Account Creation to No, don't allow anyone to create new customers

But we would like to see if someone new raises a ticket by email.

That is the equivalent of incoming email handler configuration where you can opt not to create a new users and set a default assignee.

Is is possible to replace the service desk email handler with a standard handler?

Best

Tom

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2020

@Halby V - did you figure this out? Hopefully so...

If not, go to "Jira Service Desk configuration" (add /secure/admin/SDConfiguration.jspa after your Jira URL), then change "Can customers create their own accounts?" to "No, only my team can create accounts".

To turn on email requests for a service desk project, go to that project's project settings, then click "Email requests" and follow the instructions there.

David Meyer August 4, 2020

Dave,  I did that. But setting "Can customers create their own accounts?" to "No, only my team can create accounts" no longer creates the "Emailed request" request type. 

Also - when I set to no, no one in my company ("approved domains) was allowed to access the Portal. (Just found that out a few minutes ago).
As described above (Joao Zampa) - I am trying to disconnect the need for creating a Portal customer account from creating an email request.

It seems this other configuration influences: 
Service Desk project / project settings/Customer Permissions:
"Who can access the portal and send requests to Named Service Desk project?"

What we are trying to achieve in our configuration is:
"Who can send requests to Named Service Desk project?"
"Who can access the portal  to Named Service Desk project?"
separately.

Do you know the combination of configurations that allows this?  I can only think it's got to be an overlap somehow...

0 votes
Joao Zampa April 10, 2020

Man, this is so frustrating.

I am facing the same issue and I will have to disrupt the way that 15 teams work due to this LACK of feature.

After implementing over than 15 Jira service desk projects, the company decided that internal forms should not be available to outsiders.

Teams like the People Team, Finance, Property Operations, Training team, so on and so forth all use the portal to receive internal requests but as well to manage emails coming from external users.

HOW DO WE SOLVE THAT? 

I have tried everything, even tried the voting and watching a bunch of feature requests and guess what didn't help at all we still with the issue.

Now we have to tell all the 15 teams that there is no way to display the forms only for logged in users but still allow them to receive requests via email from external users.

Now the teams will have to monitor Jira and the inbox? This fix should not be depending on votes and this does seem to be a not hard fix.

I know that what I am doing here might be just losing my time during my holidays because all you guys do is ask for votes.

We are really trying to make Jira Service Desk the one place to go, but you guys are just making our life a little harder.

Maybe we were the ones that got things wrong and are trying to use Jira Service Desk to the wrong purpose, if that is the case please disregard this message.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

hi Joao, me again. :-)

So I'm trying to understand your situation to see if there is a solution. Are you saying that your requirements have changed in this manner...

Previously:

• Project and associated agents support internal and external customers
  • all customers used the portal and/or email to create tickets
  • if the portal is used they are presented with the configured form

New Req:

• Project and associated agents support internal and external customers
  • internal customers will use the portal and associated forms
  • external customer will not use the portal but still need a way to submit tickets to the proper project

I may not have that right but assuming I do or it is close here are some initial thoughts:

• External customers can simply use email to open issues
  • you could make use of the Widget on the webpage of your choice and could open issues w/o logging into the portal
  • Consider having a separate project for external users. Yes this would mean your agents would do double duty, e.g. HR would have HR-Internal and HR-External projects and respective queues. However, this could be improved thru the use of an addon that presents a combined queue view.

Anyway, just some initial thoughts. Let me know your thoughts and how i might help further.

Like Dave Liao likes this

Hi Jack

Thanks for the reply, I will try to elaborate to make it clear.

Lets take the People team as an example.

People team has lots of forms and some forms expose employees names(because we use user picker), expose the existing teams inside our company (as we have a drop-down for the employee to select their team) and kind of expose our internal processes.

As you can see, it is not secure to have all this information available to any user on the internet, as we know there are people out there that can use some information to do malicious things.

People Team needs to handle internal an external requests ad we are using Jira Service Desk as a single tool for them to handle both cases. This week we were told that we will have to make the forms only available to internal users.

The only way that I know that we can make the forms only available to internal users is by making the projects private and adding the customers to the project, correct?
If I make the People team portal private how formers employees will send an email from their private email address and the email will become a ticket?

In the end of the day what I need is a way to limit access to the Help Center (all the projects and their forms) to only internal users but make the projects capable of receive email requests from any users.

If you have a solution for this, will save us tons of headache.

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2020

Quick thought on this...two projects. On private and one public. On the public one hide all request types from the portal. Use the public one to handle email-only requests. The private project is for internal employees.

Joao Zampa April 13, 2020

That is the workaround that I am thinking of implementing.
Although this will require the team to manage two projects, correct? 
We can agree that this is not ideal, having requests coming into two places will require the teams to monitor two places.

Ideally, if I used the Service Desk configuration below, it should allow me to make the projects available for the people I wanted but still receives ticket via email. The way you guys have it set up this configuration is not allowing teams to receive tickets from external users because this is booking even the portal only account creation.

Can customers create their own accounts?

No, only my team can create accounts

Can customers access and send requests from the help center without logging in?

No

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2016

Halby, go to the specific project > Project Settings > Customer Permissions and disable Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal

Mike Reid April 12, 2017

As the title states - how do you disable the customer signup email but still allow customers to send emails into project and create tickets?

All answers above do not answer question.

You must have the "allow anyone can email requests" turned on for any emails to come through. When this is turned on, new customers who email in, STILL receive the sign up option in which WE do not want. How can you turn off the sign up option but retain the "anyone can email".

In short, all we want is the ability to email requests into projects and not have anyone signup for portal access.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2017

Mike, sorry if my answer was misplaced. Pushing aside Halby's detailed request and focusing on your last sentence above, maybe this is what you are looking for?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-2303

If so I suggest watching/voting.

If you want customers to be able to create a ticket in their name then they need an account (obvious statement). So either the Admin/Agent creates the account before any ticket can be opened by the user via email/portal or the account is created when the first ticket comes in via email. In the later case, as it works today an auto-email is sent back to customer to finalize their account, which they could ignore but realize that isn't ideal. If you don't need to have the ticket associated w/ the customer you could consider anonymous creation - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/allowing-users-to-create-issues-anonymously-720415941.html

This is Frustrating Jack.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2020

Hi Joao,

This is a rather old thread. The only reason I saw your post is because I had posted on the thread originally and the Community forum adds anyone that posts on a thread as a watcher.

That said, can you elaborate on your frustration so that, if possible, I can respond/assist. It might also be best to raise a new question for the Community but unsure if that is what I would advise until I understand the question.

One last think, in case it is not understood, I do not work for Atlassian. Rather I am a user like yourself. I just try to help others out here. Let me know if I can help you out!

cheers,

j

Like # people like this
0 votes
Halby V December 2, 2016

Thanks for that!

I did that, Under Application> JIRA Service Desk> Configuration> Can project administrators enable public signup for their service desks? > No. This took off the option to sign up from customer portal. But

Then email request fro users that are not added as customers dosent exist's.

Any idea how to achieve these 2 scenarios?

Thank You!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2016

JIRA Service Desk maintains it's own options, separate from the Site Administration settings. Look in the Applications > JIRA Service Desk options.

Suggest an answer