Does the notion of dependencies between project versions exist within Jira?

Pierre Voisin January 8, 2013

Hello - I'm just wondering if there were any existing notions of Jira to handle project versions dependencies. Let's say I have one product, product A, which is based on product B and version A1 cannot be released without B3 to be so. Is it somehow achievable already or is it somewhere on your radar?

2 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013
Pierre Voisin January 13, 2013

Jobin - Thanks for the info, although I'm not willing to code a plugin right now... :)

Renjith - How would Strucutre help?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2013

Structure is exactly meant for that, that's what I alway thougt. Check the docs https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Structure+Board

Pierre Voisin January 20, 2013

I'm using Structure for organizing tasks within a parent-child hierarchy, and I still can't see the relation between Struture and multi-projects versions dependency management. How would you use Structure to achieve what I'm questionning?

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2013

Pierre, to some extent this can be achieved by representing versions with "meta" issues of a special type or project, and organizing them into hierarchy. However, there are two shortcomings: a) you can interpret an issue as a version, but JIRA won't - so you'll need to keep manual mapping between those meta issues and versions; b) so far a structure may have a single issue only in one position, so if your dependency graph is not a tree, you won't be able to represent it in a structure.

Pierre Voisin January 23, 2013

Ah, I see... It is more of a tinkering solution than an actual version management system but it's an interesting idea, thanks!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2013

JIRA versions have a defined sequence but it is not used much in practice. You can write plugins to make use of it though!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events