Does JIRA have a mechanism to ask other users to look at an issue?

Danny At Resolute August 22, 2012

I have noticed streams of emails between developers about JIRA issues, where there is information in the emails that should really be captured in issue comments. On investigation I have found that emails are used when someone wants to attract someone else's attention to their issue for information or advice. Having sent such an email the conversation continues in the email medium and the information from that conversation is not properly captured.

Is there some sort of mechanism in JIRA to attract someone's attention to an issue comment via an alert or something?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2012

Daniel - are you aware of the "Share Issue" and @mentions features? Do they not help you contact a user to get them to comment? Or aren't they what you're looking for?

Can the @mention function be used to mention a group or only individuals?

Wow. How did we miss that functionality!? I just tested it. My collegue got a "you have been mentioned" email and links to view or comment. Precicely what I was looking for.

I notice that here in Atlassian Answers there is a collection of edit buttons along the top when you comment. Perhaps if JIRA had that for comments, with an @mention button, the functionality would be more obvious?

1 vote
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

For that matter we have introduced a "Question" status which is reachable from any other status and provides only an "Answer" step back to the original status. Those two transitions fire a question events which triggers a notification via jabber.

The other way would be to use the @mentions feature of Jira to get the attention of other developers to get them to comment on the issue.

Hope that helps

Thomas

Thomas, the Question/Answer status pair are part of a custom workflow?

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

Yes, it's a custom workflow - but there is only one new status: "Question"

* There is a global transistion to the Question status which saves the asking user in custom field
* From there, there are "n" steps back to every status labeled "Answer", but with Previous Status Condition from the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions only the right one is showing up. These steps use the custom field to set the assignee back to the asker.

Both transistions fire a special event, by which we inform our users via jabber.

0 votes

I searched for similar questions to this but, of course, only spotted one after creating it. It is in the "Related Questions" box to the right.Anyway, it was asked back in March and there is no answer yet.

Method to flag users expected to respond to a comment

Suggest an answer