Display a subtask in several issues

Matthias Edler July 14, 2015

I am wondering if it is possible to accociate a subtask to several issues? I would rather not link/clone the subtask to other issues but display the same subtask within several issues in the subtask area.

My question is related to following use-case:

The homepage of a webshop should be planned within Jira. The content of the homepage changes on a daily basis so the idea is to create an issue for each day. All content areas of the homepage are handled within the issue as an own subtask. But some content areas will stay on the homepage for more than one day. So it would be great if those subtasks would for example occur in the issue homepageplanning July 14 and issue homepageplanning July 15.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Matthias

2 answers

0 votes
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2019

Maybe you could use versions instead.

Each day would be a separate version and then each issue can belong to multiple versions. That way you can plan the versions a long time ahead. Re-use issues at a later stage etc.

You could use the version view to see your coming week where you have items left to be created etc. Once done then release the version to remove it from being seen. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2015

No, a subtask belongs to a single parent.  Your use case is fine, but it feels like it has been reflected in JIRA really badly - the content areas sound like components, and "make change to X" should be a new discrete subtask every time you need to change it.

Matthias Edler July 14, 2015

Thanks Nic. So unfortunately it seems I have to work with the linking/cloning functionality.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2015

Yes. It's a bit of a nonsense to have a sub-task belong to more than one parent. They're for breaking up parents into more discrete pieces.

Suggest an answer