Difference permissions for different boards

kpsoman June 4, 2019

I have been asked to set up a configuration where permissions are different based on different boards.  Our Icebox board should be open to any logged in user, however we would like to have a Dev Sprint board that restricts only certain groups to be able to create or edit tickets.  I have set up a permission scheme but can't apply at a board level.  Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2019

Hi Brian,

You can control access to each board by controlling access to the underlying filter for the board. If they use the same filter already, I would create a second filter for the second board even though it might have the same code. Then I would grant different permissions on each of the filters for who needs access.

I hope that helps!

kpsoman June 5, 2019

Thanks John, I appreciate the quick response.  Unless I misunderstand, the filter shares on the queries, those only allow the users to see or not see the board.  The only way I can set granular permissions of who can enter tickets or not is at the project level.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2019

Ah, I misunderstood then - thought you were only wanting to control access to the boards. 

We use Issue Level Security to hide individual issues from users. That can be based on groups, individuals, project roles, etc. 

Let me know if you need help with implementing that. 

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2019

Hi @kpsoman 

That is a valid request. Actually board permissions are derived from the project permissions.

This page describes it in detail: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/permissions-overview-939938996.html

Ravi

Suggest an answer