Difference between fix version and affects version

Noah Spitzer-Williams January 4, 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how I should be using the fix version and affects version fields. I'm also curious which fields the different widgets use. For example, I see the roadmap widget uses the fix version field.

Thanks!

Noah

2 answers

1 accepted

25 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2012

Affects version = where you found the problem

Fix version = where you plan to fix it, or where it has been fixed (depending on your process)

Affects version is not heavily used - it's very useful for what it does, but there's not a huge amount of useful reporting you can do on it beyond the basic "where did it break" or "how many bugs did this version contain" questions.

Fix versions however, is for planning, releases, tracking velocity, monitoring progress, as well as it's core "it was fixed in" intent, and others, so it's used in a lot more of the widgets and reports. Try Greenhopper/Agile on a project where it's disabled, and you'll find 90% of it doesn't do much!

ChangJoon Lee
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2013

Leave "Fix Version" blank for "it is not planned to fix it, yet" or "it has not been determined(reviewed) whether to fix it or not." (depending on your process)

4 votes
Chris Maddox June 19, 2012

Assuming fixed version numbers are greater than the affected versions within in the same ticket (for cases when the fix version is changed to later releases) can the affected version be an accurate indicator that a change has been made to the fixed version? I'm attemtping to bulid a query shows the number of tickets that were changed from one fixed version to another so far this is the best indicator I have.

Suggest an answer