It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Description of Field with new line

Is it possible to add newlines in the description of the custom fields or system fields? e.g. the description of the field "Description" BR Elke

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

User \\ for line break

thank you also. :-)

Like dschneider likes this

Make sure to leave a space juste after the \\.

Like dschneider likes this

Yes, html tags should work. So <br> should be fine to add a line break.

thank you very much. It works perfectly. :-)

I've tried every combination from \n, <br>, </br>, <\br> and the only thing that works is "\\" but because all my markdown is in one single line the header tags just appear as "h2" they don't actually format until I edit the description and put them on their own line :/

Like Jamar Walker likes this

See this question for a discussion about that. Starting with Jira 6 HTML is only possible in system field descriptions.

Having same issue as Nicholas Worth above.

Using "\\" for linebreak works but Header (h2) size remains on all three rows decpite "new line" First example is when i went in and manually made a new line in JIRA Cloud

Header stay on newline.png

Did you find any workaround? I'm trying to format some text before sending it to my CSV file but I encountered the same issue...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

867 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you