Description of Field with new line

ITST June 24, 2013
Is it possible to add newlines in the description of the custom fields or system fields? e.g. the description of the field "Description" BR Elke

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

User \\ for line break

ITST June 24, 2013

thank you also. :-)

Like dschneider likes this
Christophe_Pot May 15, 2019

Make sure to leave a space juste after the \\.

Like dschneider likes this
3 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

Yes, html tags should work. So <br> should be fine to add a line break.

ITST June 24, 2013

thank you very much. It works perfectly. :-)

Nick December 21, 2017

I've tried every combination from \n, <br>, </br>, <\br> and the only thing that works is "\\" but because all my markdown is in one single line the header tags just appear as "h2" they don't actually format until I edit the description and put them on their own line :/

Like Jamar Walker likes this
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 21, 2017

See this question for a discussion about that. Starting with Jira 6 HTML is only possible in system field descriptions.

Marcus Lillemägi March 20, 2018

Having same issue as Nicholas Worth above.

Using "\\" for linebreak works but Header (h2) size remains on all three rows decpite "new line" First example is when i went in and manually made a new line in JIRA Cloud

Header stay on newline.png

Kajaal Dias September 15, 2019

Did you find any workaround? I'm trying to format some text before sending it to my CSV file but I encountered the same issue...

Suggest an answer