Dashboard - list only projects the user is enrolled in?

Clint Hobson June 26, 2011

I want developers to be able to log in, and see a list of ONLY the projects they are currently associated with, and I want administrators to be the ones associating developers with projects (not developers opting which projects they see). I'm calling this concept an "Active projects" list.

It's not necessary that developers are blocked from viewing projects that they are not members of (and preferable if not).

Currently, the only dashboard gadget I can see is "Projects", and requires the developer to manually select each project they want to see a link to, or all the projects at once. This isn't what I'd like, because administrators should be showing developers what projects they are enrolled in, and it's unecessary clutter for all developers to see all projects. Also when projects are finished, they need to not show up in this "Active projects" list, because this is also unecessary clutter.

Hope you guys can help.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2011

The project list is determined by project visibility. If a user has "browse" permission, then they are, as you put it, "enrolled" in the project. The list of projects and so on, all work off that. To hide a project, you need to remove the browse permission from a user. Then they won't be able to see it at all, and it'll drop out of the gadgets, and filters and so on.

Your project administrators will have the power to do that, as long as your permission schemes are set up to use "roles". For example, if your permission scheme says "Browse projects = user role and developer role", then if your project admin puts a person into either of those roles, they will see the project. If they're not in either, they won't see it.

In other words, you need to think carefully about how you use the "browse" permission to control access.

0 votes
Clint Hobson June 27, 2011

Sorry, I found the problem thanks to your advice - on the Project Role Membership page, it also had the group "users" added to its "Users" role, I removed that group from the role, and now it's hidden from people who are not specifically added in the "Users" role. Thanks heaps!

Also I just noticed I should be posting comments and not answers. First time on this forum :)

0 votes

Thanks - that sheds some light on the issue - however we are still confused.

Project X is using the permissions scheme "Default Permissions". I looked in the "Browse" permission there, and it's simply set to "Project Role (User)" So only users who's role is "User" for a project, should be able to view the project, right?

I checked the Project Roles for Project X, and only users A and B are added as the role "User" for Project X.

But user C can still see Project X, even though she's not in the role "User" for Project X. She can see it in "Browse projects" and she can also see it via the Projects gadget on the dashboard.

Suggest an answer