Custom field box with pre filled text

Brenda Xuereb May 14, 2024

I would need to populate a custom field box with the necessary information to make sure this is listed as pretext within the description box (not underneath)

Any ideas on how this can be achieved?

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

Hi @Brenda Xuereb , 

You can configure a default value. For example if you have a text field 'Business case', you can give it the default value with something like: 

*Driver*
Describe why this project is initiated, what factors are driving it.

*Cost impact*
Summarise the financial impact of the initiative

Keep in mind that this is an actual field value, so this default value will count as 'field is filled in' and users can simply create issues without ever changing the field. 

You can create multiple Contexts for a field to differentiate between different projects. 

Hope this helps. Have a nice day, 

Rik 

t.png
This is what I would like to have within the text box field as pre listed text however it is only being listed below as ''Description'' ofcourse. There's no means to include within the text itself. 

@Rik de Valk - Would this be possible?

Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

Hi, 

Yes, that is possible. To do this: 

1. Go to Custom Fields
  2. Find your field and click the 3 dots on the right side, and select Context and Default value
  3. Click 'Edit default value'
  4. Enter the desired prefilled text there and click 'Set default'

Now the field will have the prefilled text whenever a user creates a new issue. 

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 15.41.32.png

Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

@Rik de Valk fyi: you will not find the description field in the custom field config on cloud. So you can't set a default value for it. 

Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2024

I know. But Brenda was referring to the field-descriotion (the extra text below a field), not the Description field. 

The question is about a custom field.

Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

@Rik de Valk I may have misunderstood the question then. Apologies ❤️

Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2024

@Michael Wohlgemuth no apologies needed. We're all here to help each other out. And now we also have  an answer for cases where users want to do this to the Description field 😄

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2024

Hello!

Do you need the value dynamically (i.e. if you edit "Field A" contents, the "Description" should get updated right on the screen)?

If so, im not sure this is possible.

If you need the value added after the creation of an issue, that can be done via automation (and i can show you how once i know im on the right track :) )

regards

Hi @Michael Wohlgemuth

Hope all is well with you. 

I would like to consider the ability of having pretext description box listed for reference as seen in screenshot (this was listed manually for the time being). 

description box.png

Is there any way to add this as a custom field so when a user is creating a ticket this would provide the option of pre filled text?

Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2024

Thats not possible with the "default" Description field (unless you have scriptrunner).

You could create a new multiline text field, change the renderer to "wiki style" and then use this field, which can then be prefilled with any text needed by the "usual means".

Not sure what you mean by 'change the renderer to ''wiki style' - would it be possible to further elaborate please? 

Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2024

There are renderers for text fields. You can learn all about them here. Short form:

• Create new Multiline text field
  • Change the renderer to wiki in the field configuration the project uses
  • Set a default value via the custom field config @Rik de Valk described.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events