Crowd user synchronisation to Jira and licensing

HN April 4, 2020

Our Jira instance is integrated with Crowd.  The Crowd "Jira" app has been configured with a directory and the 3 default groups `jira-users`, `jira-administrators` and `jira-developers` set for "who can authenticate".

I have observed that users who do not belong to these default groups are also synchronized to Jira (however they can't login as expected). Jira users can tag these users, add them to permissions etc. 

My question is, do these users who do not belong to the Jira default groups count towards Jira licensing? I imagine not considering they have not been explicitly added to the default app groups but are synced as part of the directory synchronisation process. If so, are users who can only "authenticate" counted towards license?

I have observed this in Confluence as well.

Summary of questions:

- Users who do not belong to the default app groups are still synchronised to Jira from Crowd?

If above is true:

- These users can be referenced by others users to tag, add them to permissions etc.?
- These users are not counted towards the license?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2020

Crowd creates a single User/Group directory allowing you to manage your users in a single place. This is especially useful if you combine multiple directories to create a single view of all of your users.

Crowd will synch all of the users and groups to the applications you have connected to it. What these users and groups can do is determined by the product, not Crowd. 

For Jira, you can see how many licenses are consumed by going to Administration->Applications->Application Access. This is where you determine which groups will be able to access Jira and thereby consume a license. 

The default group only pertains to users who are added directly in Jira, not in Crowd. When you create a user in the local Jira directory and indicate that they will have access to Jira, then they are added to the default group. It has no effect on users in Crowd.

If you are using JIRA Service Desk, then you can @mention users who do not have license access but can access the ticket through the portal. You cannot @mention someone who does not have access to the issue, so Jira Software and Jira Core will not allow you to include someone who does not consume a license.

TL;DR: Look at the Jira Application Access to determine which groups consume a license and your current usage. Crowd has nothing to do with this.

Suggest an answer