Creating multiple tasks with the same sub-tasks

Franklin D. Roosevelt June 4, 2015

I have hundreds of tasks that need to be entered in Jira, and they all require the exact same three sub-tasks. Is there a more efficient way to do this than create task, create sub-task 1, create sub-task 2, create sub-task 3, repeat until my eyes-bleed? Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2015

I will use JIRACLI and create a shell script to feed the data.

jira --action createIssue --project "zwork" --type "1" --summary "This is content"

jira --action createIssue --project "ZFIELDS" --type "Sub-task" --summary "This is content." --parent "ZFIELDS-1"

I didn't know that existed. Thanks. Unfortunately, my company doesn't have that component and probably won't for years given how long purchases take to get approved.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2015

The JIRACLI is just an easy to way to use with the native JIRA Interface. If you want, you can just create your own script to do the same thing.

How would I do that without a CLI? I haven't been able to find anything about scripting JIRA other than how to change interface colors.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2015

You could use Bob Swift's COT add-on to add a post function to the create transition of a specific issue type to also create the subtasks. Or go your own way with the Script Runner add-on

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2015

Take a look at the JIRA REST API doc (https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/). Basically, you will need a script that can do the basic REST calls, like a shell script (curl) or groovy script. That is your best bet. Otherwise, ask your team to purchase the JIRACLI plugins and such.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2015
Franklin D. Roosevelt June 5, 2015

I'll look into all these things. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events