Creating and Managing an Issue Category Field

Jackie.Luppi April 23, 2019

I want to categorize issues according to different product areas.  Is it possible to create an issue category field that is populated by product managers and engineering managers but viewable to all? 

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Mcgallian January 10, 2023

Hello,

this issue has been quiet for a while, but I thought I would add in some newer info.  

A more recent thread from 08/22 mentioned this and recommended this solution to add categories.  Essentially, it is:

1. Go to list view

2. Pick an issue you want to categorize

3. Type the new category in

4. Press Enter

The new category will now appear

If you don't do this from the list view (i.e. if you do it from the board tab), it will not create the new category

Sarah Proudfoot March 29, 2023

This has been driving me nuts all day, and it turns out I was doing it from the wrong view. THANK YOU

Isaiah John August 24, 2023

Thanks! 👍

Sarah Campbell Gates October 20, 2023

I'm on Issues > LIST VIEW, but I don't see Category anywhere. It is on the card when I open it, but when I try to add the Category field the only one that comes up is Status Category. How do I add it to the list view page? (It is on the issues cards, but when I click into them it has the same problem of not letting me add new ones). 

Thanks in advance!

Like Nati likes this
Tapiwa Samkange December 5, 2023

Hi @Sarah Campbell Gates -  I came across your question today. In case it has not been answered, I have found that refreshing the list view and then clicking on the '+' symbol to display the 'Show These Fields' list, fixes the issue.

Hoping this helps. All the best in your Jira Journey!

7 votes
Adam Łabędzki August 10, 2022

In Jira team managed project by default (at least when I have used 'project management' template when creating the team managed project) there is 'category' field for the issues. I cannot find anywhere option to edit the list of available categories in this field. As I presume in team managed teams are able to manage every aspect of the project?

So the question is - where to edit category field available values for team managed project?

James Seabrook March 13, 2024

Hi Adam, did you get any answer to this? I'm looking for the same functionality!

1 vote
エメス
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 11, 2024

Is there no way to achieve this when using a "Software project" and not a "Business project"?

0 votes
Antonio Dharmadas September 15, 2022

The new business project gives option to group by category. I could add a new category on the issues list page but assignment does not show the category. Also the issue details does not show the newly added category. 

Components are good, but cannot group by components (as there could be more than one per issue)

Thanks,

Antonio

0 votes
Jimmy Van (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2019

Hi Jackie,

Try using components.

Product managers and engineering managers will need to be project admins, but they can create them without anyone else intervening, and all users can see them.

You can read more here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/organizing-work-with-components-764478279.html

Jackie.Luppi April 30, 2019

Thank you Jimmy! I will look into this. 

Jackie

Suggest an answer