Created a Jira Board (Scrm) using a filter.Some issues appear in Backlog than appearing under sprint

Geetha October 9, 2019

Hi ,

I created a filter which lists a bunch of stories (example 101,102,103,104,105,107,110) .

I have a  Sprint field that is populated with different team's sprint number. Like Sprint 5,6 etc

When I create a Jira scrum board with the above filter, I see few issues always appear under 'Backlog' but not under a 'sprint' , although the sprint number field is filled in all of them.  I observed that these issues were closed in previous sprints.

For example , in the above case , Issues 107 and 102 were done in Sprint 4 and the current Sprint is 6

Only Sprints 5 and 6 are showing up in the board and all open/closed issues under that are OK .

107,102 that were closed in Sprint 4 always appears in Backlog instead of showing up under Sprint 4

I want to organize the board where the issues in my filter show up irrespective of whether it was closed or not under the sprint that it was closed/planned. How do I achieve this.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2019

Hi @Geetha 

I am having difficulty visualizing what you are trying to do versus what you are currently seeing on the board.  

Would you please post your current filter so the community can comment and try to help?  Thank you!

Best regards,

Bill

Geetha October 9, 2019

Sorry Bill for not being clear. Here is an example of current versus preferred view .

1.  This is the filter to get all linked issues with the requirement 4567

project = XYZ AND type = Story and issue in linkedIssues(REQUIREMENT-4567) ORDER BY Sprint  

2. The above filter lists 10 issues organized over 4 sprints (Sprint 1,2,3,4) .

Sprints 1 and 2 are past sprints

Sprint 3 is the current

Sprint 4 is the future

3.   I am seeing only current Sprint items  (both closed and open) as shown in Current view . Past closed items are showing up under Backlog instead of showing up under respective sprints(1,2)

5. Items for Sprint 4 is not showing up at all

6. All issues have Sprint field which is filled with right info . 

sample.jpg

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hi @Geetha 

Thank you for the details and clarification.  Let me try to explain what is happening...sorry in advance for the detailed explanation...

Jira boards, Scrum or Kanban, show the issues that meet the filter criteria AND which match the columns mapped to status values on the board.  These types of boards are meant to manage the flow of work to completion (done), not as visibility boards of past, current, and the future.  On such boards, the status values reflect the flow from "not started", "in progress", and "done", with the last column associated to completed work.

So, the completed issues from prior sprints wouldn't show up on a scrum board, and the future ones are in a "backlog" status until such time as their sprint starts.

To do what you are asking for a Scrum board, you would need to re-open items and create extra status values, by sprint.  That doesn't sound like what you wanted.

To do what you are asking for a Kanban board, you could:

• Create a Kanban board, with columns like "todo", "doing", "done",
  • Map your respective status values to them (e.g. Backlog to "to do"),
  • Set your filter to select desired work, and
  • Show the sprint as either on the card or by swim lanes.

If this approach doesn't help, please describe the problem you are trying to solve with your request.  Thank you!

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Geetha October 12, 2019

ok Thanks  Bill, I should find another way to handle this probably.Thanks 

Suggest an answer