Create a custom field with dropdown list

James Barwick March 19, 2014

I want to change custom field, which is a numerical field in JIRA to a dropdown list of predefined numerical values.

Example of the dropdown list:

50 - Trivial
100 - Easy
200 - Medium
300 - Hard
500 - Herculean

How to define this list in JIRA and how to assign it to an already existing numerical field?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2014

The easy bit - add a new select-list custom field

The hard bit is the conversion. You simply can't convert numbers to select options.

The standard answer to this would be to run a filter to find all your "Easy" issues, then bulk-edit them, adding the new data to the select list and removing the numbers. Repeat for each of the new options,

James Barwick March 20, 2014

Yeah, figured the easy part. But I was hoping you could give custom dropdowns values like you can in Bugzilla. Surely if Bugzilla can do it, JIRA can do it.

In any case, wonder if you can attach a macro or Javascript to a field. That would do the trick also.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2014

You can give a select list whatever options you want. I'm not sure what you're actually looking for here.

You can't attach a "macro" but there are all sorts of things you can do as issues are updated. You can wedge in javascript, but frankly, don't, it's a bloody nightmare to get right and worse to maintain, I always advise avoiding it.

Suggest an answer