Copy data from friends board

kn1b20_velma May 13, 2024

Hello, I have a friend's full access project that he made. How can I copy it completely to my board so that all the data that I could change is saved?

2 answers

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 15, 2024

Welcome to the community, @kn1b20_velma.

I am Marlene, product manager of Deep Clone for Jira.

If you want to clone the entire project, including settings, boards and issues, you can try our app. With Deep Clone you can copy entire Jira projects very easily.

Please note that if you want to clone certain project details, you have to enable the Advanced Project Clone feature.

deep-clone-jira_clone-project (1).png

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

Hello @kn1b20_velma 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you wanting to make that copy on the same instance where the original exists?

A "board" in Jira is just a method to visualize and manipulate the issues. The issues themselves exist in a container called a Project. The board uses a filter to determine which issues to display. The same issue can display in multiple boards because it may be within the scope of multiple filters. A change made to an issue through one board will be reflected in any other board that displays that issue.

We need to clarify what you want to copy.

Do you just want a copy of the board, but have it display the original issues? In that case any change you make to an issue would be reflected in your friend's board because you would be working with the same issues.

Do you actually want a separate copy of all the issues and the board so that none of the changes you make affect the issues in your friend's board? 

I want to copy all data from his board. Epics, tasks , settings

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

Do you actually want a separate copy of all the issues and the board so that none of the changes you make affect the issues in your friend's board? 

Yes. He specially do it for me)

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2024

Approximately how many issues are needing to be copied? Tens, hundreds, thousands?

Are the issues in a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project? You can get that information from the Type column on the View all projects page under the Projects menu.

Does the new data need to be in the same Jira instance (using the same base URL) as the original data, or are you trying to copy the data to a separate Jira instance that uses a different URL?

If the data is going to remain in the same instance, Jira does not provide a native method for full duplication of issues, or the content of an entire project. If you want everything copied including all the history of the issues and the configuration of the project, that would require a third party app.

And if the source data is in a Team Managed project that makes the process more complicated.

If the data needs to be copied to a different Jira instance, that is going to be an entirely different process.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events