Consolidation / Merging of 3 Jira instances into one

Peter Kahn July 20, 2011

Hi all,

What approach to do you use to merge multiple jira instances? What has worked well and where should I be careful?

I have three instances that I want to combine each with it's own custom fields, plugins, workflow structure and way of naming users. I expect the following to be my key areas of difficulty:

* user names

* global settings (e.g., priority / resolution)

* custom fields

* plugins

* workflow

Plugins can be handled by a quick survey and then installing the "best" set on the receiving jira. Users name I can handle by creating a mapping file and modifying the export XML prior to project-import.

Custom fields, global settings (resolution/priority) and workflow reconciliation seems the most difficult pieces of the puzzle. Does anyone have jelly scripts or other tools to help with this reconciliation?

Thanks for the help

Peter

2 answers

0 votes
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2011

For starters, I would make an inventory of all the important items in each instance. Consolidate these lists when you encounter any duplicates (eg: plugins). Export EVERY workflow you think you will need to XML. Import the ones you want now into the 'consolidated' JIRA. Next, I would install the plugins needed in the 'consolidated' JIRA using UPM. For scriptable items like usernames and custom fields, I would document the contents of all three instances and then generate scripts (in Jelly, for example) to create the usernames and custom fields in the consolidated JIRA.

Bottom line, reconcilliation and consolidation is very specific, so the responsibility lies with you. There is not 'silver bullet' to executing complicated transitions such as yours. But, with some proper planning and documentation, it shouldn't be too painful. Hope this helps!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2011

It is going to be painful. For workflows, you can export them as XML and import them into the target JIRA. Same can be done for projects along with issues as long as the configurations are all in place!

Merging things like custom fields, global settings, users etc are the difficult part and there isn't an easier way than what you already mentioned I guess!

Suggest an answer