Confluence/JIRA users groups

Amedeo May 9, 2022

Good morning Community,

here I am again with a question, maybe "ordinary" for many of you.

I have to "clear" the groups created in the past by my predecessor in the projects where I am admin.

I don't understand the algorithm behind the creation of groups in Confluence and the visualization of them in JIRA.

In other words: I have several different projects in JIRA but just few in Confluence. I have created groups in Confluence, but these are not replicated into JIRA Projects (or not all of them). See picture below with examples (the first and the second represent the Groups in Confluence, while the third and the forth are related to different projects in JIRA, where is visible that not all the groups are synchronized).

Is there a "rule" or a parameter to be set up in order to view all the Groups from Confluence to JIRA?

Thank you

Amedeo

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vishal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2022

Hi @Amedeo 

Assuming that these are LDAP directory groups, you have to import the groups seperately in both jira & confluence. Please note that the LDAP configuration for both the applicatios are not interlinked to each other, even though they are connected via application link, the LDAP configuration differes based on the configuration that you have done on LDAP side.

I would suggest you to go through the article to understand how exactly LDAP configuration is done.

If you have created the groups locally into confluence, in that case also, you need to create them in jira as well, again the user management of Jira & Confluece are not dependent on each other, they are different.

Thanks!

Amedeo May 9, 2022

Hi @Vishal ,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I don't have JIRA Admin permission because these permissions are centralized in our Company. If I understood, LDAP configuration can be made by JIRA Admin only, right?

Anyway, I remember that the groups have been created directly in Confluence: how I can replicate them in JIRA? I don't see any "Create groups" button.

Can you help me please?

Thank you again

Amedeo

Vishal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2022

Hi @Amedeo

Yes, you need to be the Jira admin to be able to do all these configurations, normal users doesn't have access to user management.

So whether it is LDAP configuration or the local group creation in jira, you should have admins rights.

Thanks!

Amedeo May 10, 2022

Hi @Vishal ,

thanks for the reply.

Ok, everything's clear now.

I'm going to talk with our JIRA Admin in order to understand how I can manage these settings.

Amedeo

Suggest an answer