Configuring JIRA to resemble Basecamp

Miles Tillinger October 9, 2012

A few projects/departments in my company are using Basecamp, but I'd like to have all departments using JIRA to take advantage of dependency tracking between different projects. I want to try to create schemes, screens and dashboards for these departments that resemble Basecamp's workflow and functionality, to ease the transition and avoid these departments rejecting JIRA.

Have any of you been in this situation and had some success? Or am I wasting my time?

1 answer

0 votes
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

Why in the world you would want to do that ? If you try to mock your old tool in new tool you loose most of the benifits of using new tool, IMHO refrain from doing it rather I would say spend sometime educating them on benifits of using Jira and I am sure there are plenty to convince.

Miles Tillinger October 9, 2012

Because these are non-technical users, they're overwhelmed by the perceived complexity of the UI ... this is not an uncommon opinion of JIRA.

I think you're missing the point of what I want to do here. I'm definitely not trying to remove any of the numerous beneficial features, but rather try to emulate some of the workflow and UI features of Basecamp, and reduce the complexity of various screens. The needs of non-technical users are far removed from those of a development team and fully fledged SDLC.

My question is, has anyone else done something like this, and did they have any measure of success?

Bill Wood March 8, 2013

I'm struggling with exactly the same thing. I have many non-technical users who are used to BaseCamp, and honestly there are some features that are very convenient, such as sharing a page with selected users by clicking checkboxes rather than typing them in one at a time, and sending emails to groups of people).

Deleted user May 1, 2013

Found this because I'm looking for a way to use both Jira and Basecamp together, for the very reason pointed out in the original question.

Our 'non-technical' team has finally started using Basecamp with it's very, very simple UI, and I have no desire to try and get them to use Jira which I'm sorry to say does not have near the simple User Experience as Basecamp .. at least the 'new' Basecamp.

That said, Basecamp does not meet the needs of our development team.

So, some way to use them both = ideal :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events