Configure "Email This Issue Plugin" mail handler/notifications

ashleyg September 14, 2015

Hi,

I already have default JIRA incoming mail handler set for one of our JIRA projects.

No when any external user (not in our JIRA database) send mail to our mailbox (xyz@abc.com) then issue is created with reporter set to external user and when we comment on that issue (or any changes to that issue ) then no email notifications are sent to the reporter (since external user) and that is justified.

What we want is to achieve just this through "Email This Issue Plugin".

Do i also need to set one more mail handler under "Email This issue" or just setting notification will do.

Either way how this could be achieved, please let me know teh steps.

BR,

Ashely 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 1, 2015

Hi Ashely,

Please see the tutorials we have in our documentation to setup an Email This Issue Mail Handler:

http://www.meta-inf.hu/wiki/display/PLUG/Setting+up+Customized+Notifications

http://www.meta-inf.hu/wiki/display/PLUG/Setting+up+an+Email+Help+Desk

Also to have a kind of autoreply to the sender, find details here: http://www.meta-inf.hu/wiki/display/PLUG/Mail+Handler+and+Auto-reply+emails

If you need further help, please let me know.

Regards.
Tibor 

ashleyg November 1, 2015

Thanks for the links. However my only problem that remains still is that whenever any unidentified user (doesn't have email address configured in Jira) comments on the issue, he is added as watcher thereby creating his account in Jira with username,name and email address all set to his email address. This is really consuming the licenses. Any solutions here would be greatly appreciated.

ashleyg November 4, 2015

Could you please help me at the earliest. After implementing this, any mails coming to mailbox are getting created as issues in the project and for external users we have added a field called External user that automatically gets populated with the email address of the external user (someone not present in Jira. Any issue updates/comments/edit,etc triggers mails to these users (despite they being not presnt in Jira). Till here it works fine. But when these users reply back via comment , they automatically get created in Jira with username/name and email adddress all set to their email address. This is consuming the licenses on our Jira. Any help here would be greatly appreciated

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 4, 2015

Hi, I suppose the "'Create users" option is enabled in the mail handler in Incoming Mail. OPen this page, find the Mail Handler, click Edit next to it, open the second page in the dialog and check for this option. If ticked, JIRA API creates the users. If unticked, no users will be created. Tibor

ashleyg November 5, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Create users option is not checked and as you already know to achieve all this we use Email this issue mail handler under handler drop down while configuring the incoming mail handler. Is it something wrong with the email this issue plugin.?

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
November 5, 2015

well, I have never heard of a similar problem. Are you using Email THis Issue handler with JIRA Service Desk? Because if you use JSD and your portal is open for public signup, JETI creates customer accounts (just like JSD Mail Handler would). But customer accounts do not take JIRA license.

ashleyg November 5, 2015

I use default Jira incoming mail handler. I don't know about JSD and i don't use it.

ashleyg November 6, 2015

Is there something you could help me here with. Really need some solution to get rid of unnecessary user creation in Jira just because they reply to jira mails.

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
November 6, 2015

All i can offer is a screensharing on Monday. Please send me an email to arrange a meeting

ashleyg November 9, 2015

You mean you need me to share my screen with you. But my organisation policy doesn't allow screen sharing to anyone outside the organisation. Also we have very limited access to external sites. Even google.com is not allowed.How do you want me to help you so that you can investigate apart from the screensharing.

0 votes
ashleyg November 5, 2015

Testtools2.PNGTestTools1.PNGTesttools3.PNG

0 votes
ashleyg September 15, 2015

Hi Team, I'm really looking forward to get this implemented. However i don't see proper steps in the "Email this Issue" documentation or elsewhere which suggest how to achieve this functionality wherein we already have default incoming mail handler configured for our Jira project and all we need is to manage mail notifications to external users reporting those issues without actually creating those users in our Jira database. Since Email this Issue plugin somehow provides this functionality i just want to know how to configure that. We already have our mailbox address (xyz@abc.com) where external users will drop mails and issues will be created out of them, but how to configure all such stuffs in Email this issue plugin configuration. BR, Ashley

Suggest an answer