Configure JIRA 5.1 to run on windows but answer on a specific domain name and SSL

Does anyone know how to make JIRA answer on a specific domain that is tied to an IP address?

Example:

Currently my jira instance answers on localhost. This is not the way we want it done. We would like to have jira answering on something like http://myBugName.MyCompanyDomain.com

Any suggestions that don't involve setting up apache or multiple tomcats, or any reverse proxys?

1 answer

0 vote

There's a very easy way to do this:

1. Edit the Tomcat's server.xml so that it runs on port 80 instead of 8008 or 8080 or whatever the current port is

2. Use DNS to map your desired url to land on that server.

So to complicate this a little more, what if that is not the only web app on the server? How do I bind that to a specific IP and Domain name?

I think you'll need an application that can interpret incoming requests over the various ports and urls and route them to the correct place. i.e. Apache, reverse proxies, etc.

You might be able to do something clever in the network though. My (simple) router at home lets me do port-mapping, so when I land on my.home.url:1234 it takes me off to my media server running on port 8080, or if I use my.home.url:4321, it goes to the database server on the same machine.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,277 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot