Configure Issue type heirarchy - custom heirarchy for a project

Jeffrey Leung
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 25, 2024

Our organization recently purchased Advanced Jira Roadmaps.  I want to customize my project with customized issue type hierarchies.  I'm asking if I create and apply my custom changes that they do NOT affect any other projects (in my company managed project).  

I am an admin for my project and I'm using the following URL to guide me on my implementation:  Configure custom hierarchy levels in your plan | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support.

When I attempted to make a change to my project's heirarchy, the following message came up:

"Are you sure you want to change the hierarchy configuration?

Moving or changing the hierarchy levels of issue types will break existing links in all company-managed projects in your site.  This change can't be reversed.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2024

Hi Jeffrey,

No, the Issue Type Hierarchy is applied across the entire site. There is only one Hierarchy so whatever it is must be applied to all projects. And, so if you change the existing one, it will affect all projects using it. 

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2024

Hi @Jeffrey Leung

as already suggested, Jira natively only supports one global hierarchy across the site.

This being said, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you'll find options there. E.g., my team and I work on an app in which you can model as many hierarchies as you want: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets.  It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies.

These issue hierarchies can be based on Jira's built-in parent/child relationships as well as issue links of configurable issue link types. As you can have multiple hierarchies per JXL sheet, and a JXL sheet can be based on any saved filter or JQL query, you have complete freedom over the issue hierarchies in your site.

This is how it looks in action:

various-parents.gif

(Note how WORK-142 is a child of initiative WORK-161 in one hierarchy, and a child of OKR-1 in another hierarchy.)

Issue hierarchies also play well with JXL's other advanced features, such as support for issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders