Closing a Project In Jira

I am flabergasted to see that Jira, purporting to be a "Project Management" tool has, after several years, still not grasped what a project actually is. I understand that it might mean different things to different folks but REALLY ! ALL Projects have a START AND END DATE. Look it up on the project management institute site. PLEASE Allow for a status of closed. It is unusable in its present form regardless of whether you feel you have a large number of adopters of your Jira product. ITS pretty SIMPLE- PROJECTS CLOSE ! Allow users to mark them as closed without going through the manual and amateur nonsense you are proposing.

Thanks

4 answers

4 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer
Scott Theus Community Champion Nov 30, 2018

Hi @James Heaphy,

I agree, I also have several projects that I would like to close out and remove from the list of in flight projects...once a project is done, it's done. At some point if changes are needed, even in a true Agile world, a new project should be stood up. 

There are a number of open suggestions for Atlassian to allow admins to close or archive projects, here are some of them: 

JRACLOUD-66849

JRACLOUD-68228

JSWCLOUD-16521

You can vote on these if you like; Atlassian does pay attention to the suggestions and the voting helps them set the priority on enhancements selected for implementation.

Hope this helps, if so please mark this as "accepted" so others can find it easily.

-Scott

0 votes
Accepted answer
Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 30, 2018

@James Heaphy, out of pure curiosity what would be an acceptable implementation of closing a project? More precisely in the current Jira application what would you want to see. Currently I have used the project Category for archiving projects. Basically I created Archived and I created an archive permission scheme that I apply to any project I wish to 'hide'. So I'm wondering what are the requirements for closure in your case?

Hi Jack, I see them as completely different concepts and do not want to use something not designed to actually close a project to do so. Why don't I just get a post it and cover them on my screen when displaying projects at a management meeting. Its simple, project management principles have been around longer than Atlassian and one of those simple concepts is that projects close! To answer your question, I would like to see a status with the following flags available : " Open", "Closed" "On Hold" 

In closing, I truly believe anyone arguing against this feature implementation doesn't actually know anything about project management agile, full blown, whatever. By its very definition projects have a start and end date. Again, look up any Project management site, any PM discipline! MS Project ?

Do construction projects ever close? How about the Manhattan Project, is that still open ? The Apollo Mission ? Software projects are no different in that concept.

Seriously, get a grip guys!

Cheers,

James 

Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 30, 2018

@James Heaphy, i wanted to reiterate that I was simply seeking more input from you on what an acceptable implementation would be. It seems that what you would like is to have a "Project Status" value (Open/Active, Closed/Complete, On Hold).

Earler you requested how to raise to Atlassian. I would refer you to jira.atlassian.com where you could open a suggestion. Hope that helps.

Like 1 person likes this

Thanks Jack, yes, a Project Status would be extremely useful and I will open a suggestion to the link you provided.

James 

Thanks Jack, thats what I plan to do.

James 

0 votes
Accepted answer

Thanks Scott, very frustrating. Of the 3 suggestions you found, the first is so archaic I cannot comprehend that Atlassian would even allow such nonsense to be suggested on one of their forums. The other two don't provide any solutions either. Is there anyway this can be bubbled up to someone at Atlassian rather than hoping they see it in the community? We as large US clients will abandon the product pretty quickly if it cannot be resolved. All I see in all the comments is disbelief and frustration that Jira does not have a simple status "Open" "Closed" . Can Atlassian please start paying attention. Thanks again Scott.

James 

Scott Theus Community Champion Nov 30, 2018

Happy to help! The links I shared are not from the Community Forum, but rather directly from Atlassian's "to do" list. This is where support requests go, including  VOC product suggestions, bugs, etc. for the product owners to review. 

If there is a particular way you'd like to be able to close out projects you can submit it as an enhancement request here: Support Contact

-Scott

Thanks Scott, that is very helpful so I will write something up and submit it there.

Cheers!

Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Nov 30, 2018

Hi James,

Daniel from Atlassian Support here. We are active on Community and care about your pain points! Earlier this year an Archive feature shipped for Jira Data Center. Based on your description, I’m pretty sure the Archive feature addresses your concern.

After archiving a project, the issues no longer show up in search and the project itself only shows up in a list of archived projects. It’s two clicks to archive a project.

archiving.gif

Given your organization’s size, Data Center might be something to consider if you’re currently on a Server license. We’d love to get in touch with you and evaluate if Data Center makes sense.

Cheers,
Daniel

Like 1 person likes this

Thanks Daniel, that will have to do I guess. It is not ideal! 

In any case, when I get to the Projects Admin screen I see the 3 dots but it takes me to "Project Settings" with no option to archive. We do actually use both an on prem and cloud instance of Jira and it is in the cloud version that I am trying to close a project but your 3 dots are taking you to a different place than mine. 

Cheers,

James 

Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Nov 30, 2018

Sorry for the confusion there James! The Archiving feature is exclusive to the Data Center deployment of Jira and isn't available in Jira Server or Jira Cloud.

0 votes
Accepted answer

In closing, my comments and suggestions are directed solely at Atlassian not the user community. I will send something directly to them and post a comment back here when I her back from them. Thanks Everyone!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,640 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you