Clone an issue doesn't work...

Christophe Leite October 20, 2013

Hello all,

For a few days, the cloning of issues does not work anyway. I verified my permission scheme, and concerned users, can both create/modify issues, and modify reporters... but it still does not work.

The only change I made is the use of jira.permission.edit.user permission on each JIRA status in my workflow. In my permission scheme, I allowed users to modify users in general, but in my Workflow, using jira.permission.edit.users, I restricted this right for all status since the 2nd status... is that a problem ? do I have to allow cloning issue using any properties on each status ? anything else ?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks a lot,

Christophe

8 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2013

You might also look at the issue type that you are cloning. I ran into an issue when I was trying to clone an issue, but I had changed my field that are required since I initially created the issue. For example, when I first created the issue, i didn't require a custom field called Client. It happened that my issue didn't have this field populated. So, when I tried to clone it, not all required fields were input and you don't get an error - the clone box just dismisses, with some believing that it was cloned, but it really wasn't - you are just returned to the original issue.

Anyway, you might look at that.

Bhupesh Nagda October 5, 2014

Hi..someone made a field required and the clone box disappears as you have explained above...I was wornder whether what's the solution to this. We need to keep this field as required. Will re-indexing help? Is there any other alternative. Since our installation is large so we lock and rebuild indexes occasionally.Any help would be appreciated...thanks a lot!!

Bhupesh Nagda October 6, 2014

Hello @Karie Kelly can you please provide any help. Thanks :)

1 vote
Christophe Leite October 22, 2013

Ok thanks to all. I found a solution.

The problem was in the validators of my create transition. I had a script specified in this one, that blocked the cloning issue operation. So I move this script in the following transition (the second one in my workflow) and that's work very fine right now ! :-)

1 vote
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2013

if you have "Create Issues" permission on project permission scheme then you should able to clone the issue

can confirm following thing

are able to clone any issue other that current project? or are you able to clone any issues on any project?

are you able to see the clone operation under "More Actions" in issue view screen?

if you are able see, are you getting error m any messages while cloning?

First of all, thanks for your answer.

User have "Create issues" and "Modify issues" in Permission Scheme.

I only have 1 project of the moment.

Yes, I am able to seed "Clone" in "More Actions" menu...

No error message error appears and no message during the operation of cloning.

A dialogbox display on the screen asking for the summary I would like to associate with the clone issue...

But the result is : the clone of my issue is the issue itself, and summary has no changed, even I specified "CLONE of my initial issue..."

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

we had same problem, so i have submitted the support request and had call with support person but unable to find the root cause.

atlassian investigation root cause for this.

i suggest to raise support request @ https://support.atlassian.com

1 vote
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

You can't disable "cloning" from workflow properties. Please check for create permission.

0 votes
Melissa January 3, 2019

You would have to grant the "Modify REPORTER" permission for the user(s). That did the trick for me. 

0 votes

I've tried with an another issue located on another project, and it works. It creates a new issue, with a different ID and a summary beginning by CLONE like I specified.

So it seems that my problem of cloning is in relation with the project I am trying to clone an issue on...

0 votes

Now, I suceed to clone an issue... but the clone is the issue itself. So it still does not work :-(

In order to allow the clone operation to certain users, what I have to do in global permissions ? in permission scheme ?

0 votes

Both create and modify permissions are allowed to concerned users.... unfortunetly :-( So I am still looking for a solution to solve this great problem

Suggest an answer