Change Issue Type to Epic

Whip Hubley November 14, 2013

I have a project which can create issues of type Epic as well as other types Bug, Story and Improvement.

But once the issue is created I cannot edit the issue and change the issue type to Epic.

I can only change the issue type between the others - Bug, Story and Improvement.

Does anyone know why I can only create issues of type Epic and not edit issues to become type Epic ?

Thanks very much.

4 answers

30 votes
Christoffer Bromberg _K15t_ November 14, 2013

Hi Whip,

this is propably due to the fact, that the Epic has a different workflow configured and / or field configuration for it.

After creating an issue you will only be able to change the issue type to types that are configured for the project and that have the same workflow.

You can still move the issue to become an Epic issue. Open the issue and choose "More actions" and then "Move". You will then have to tell how fields and/or workflow state should be migrated. The issue ID will stay the same.

Cheers, Chris

Scott Paden July 15, 2015

This was perfect and answered my questions.

Christoffer Bromberg _K15t_ July 15, 2015

You're welcome - plz upvote :-P

Like Sri Srivatsavaya likes this
1 vote
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

It might be due to the workflow difference.

Meant Bug/Task/... share one workflow and Epic might have another workflow.

Check if it was the reason.

0 votes
zfinannee April 7, 2021

If the problem isn't related to workflows, then it may be related to the New View in Jira.   I have not found a way to convert to an Epic in the New View, however you can choose "See the old view" from the "..." drop down menu, and then Edit the issue and change the issue type.    That will work until Atlassian removes the ability to use the old view - at which point hopefully someone will come up with a different solution that doesn't require us to buy an addon!  

0 votes
Whip Hubley November 14, 2013

Yes - that's exactly it.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer