Captcha required on next login

Neha Sharma August 16, 2018

Hi,

We have a wrapper api that we use for making api calls to our jira server instance. We use a service account for authentication to jira from this wrapper api. Sometimes, it so happens that the api calls to jira start failing and when I do and check the service account (the one used for authentication to jira) in the "User management" section, I see that the service account has been locked and I see a message saying, "Captcha required on next login". There is an option for resetting the count below the warning. When I reset the count, the api calls start working again. 

We have the "CAPTCHA on Signp" option disabled in the System -> Settings section. But still we find this captcha error once everyday and this is affecting the work where the wrapper api is used for making jira api calls.

Can anyone has any idea why this is happening and any workaround for this problem.? Would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Neha

2 answers

1 vote
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2018

Hi @Neha Sharma,

in your general Settings is an Option for maximum Authentication Attempts. If you have more attempts, the Captcha will appear.

2018-08-17 08_07_01-JIRA Configuration - neusta-ps Jira Demo.png

So you can either find out, why there are failed Authentication Attempts or just increase the maximum number, but you will get the problem then only later as this will not fix the source of the problem.

Neha Sharma August 16, 2018

Hi @Bastian Stehmann,

Even if I change the count for maximum authentication attempts, the account may still get locked if it crosses that count. Is there a way to check "why there are failed Authentication Attempts" as you suggested in your answer ?

Also, is it possible that the account gets locked if the login count increases to a certain count ?

Thanks,

Neha

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2018

Hi @Neha Sharma,

you can check the security log (<APPLICATION-HOME>/log/atlassian-jira-security.log) or the atlassian-jira.log if there are any hints.

0 votes
Jacque Meche July 26, 2021

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I'm having the same problem as well. I'm also not an admin so I can't give them any of the information to actually send out a job ticket since there seems to be no phone number to call them. Any possible solutions? I've already deleted my cookies, used other computers as well as other browsers to try to log on, still having the same issue. 

Suggest an answer