Cannot find space in linked confluence

Arbit Support November 14, 2018

I'm trying to link our Jira Helpdesk on our server to the confluence space on the same server. However, even though I have added the application link to confluence and the application link to jira in confluence, Jira reports an error in finding the space.

The space is there and I can see the two applications are linked but they do not connect.

What to do ?

regards

Peter Nielsen

2 answers

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2018

You must activate anonimous access to your Confluence. And be careful, when you do it, you must be sure that all other spaces are not accesible by anonimous users.

We only have one space..

I have tried activating the anonymous access. Jira no longer has problems communicating with confluence but still can't see the space. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2018

Check also thje anonymous permissions in that space, if there are no errors in the log, permissions usually are the cause

Here is the thing..

I got it to work by allowing anonymous access but we are not interested in sharing our documentation with the world unless the world pays for it.

I can't believe that the system does not allow access to the knowledgebase unless the rest of the world has access too..

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

You misunderstood a lot of things.

• Permissions are per space and per page

You can allow anonymous access only to the spaces you want to share

• Your instance don't need to be accesible for anyone

You can have your instance in your intranet and the Knowledge Base will still share info for your customers in the Jira Service Desk portal. At the same time, they can't access to your Confluence via URL.

Arbit Support November 15, 2018

If I allow anonymous access to the space, I also have to allow access to confluence according to the system:

Make your Confluence site public.

You can choose which spaces anonymous users can access. Anonymous users are not included in your license count.

Does public mean: everyone who knows the correct url ?

Apparently it does.. When I go to our site and the anonymous access has been allowed, I can actually look at the knowledge database without logging in.

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

Public site doesn't mean public infrastructure. Public site means, anyone who has access to your net, can access confluence via URL been logged or not.

Also, the Knowledge Base is one or more spaces which you want to be accesed by your customers.It means, they only access the space you want they do.

Also, you can restrict the access to pages in a space too, so you can have an anonymous access to a space but have a page of that space rectricted.

I'm a bit confused..

Strange thing is that in the cloud its possible to allow access only to jira approved customers to confluence without setting the anonymous access..

We can't approve access to every single page in our confluence. It must be possible to inherit security access from above to below..

I'm not quite sure I understand your explanation

Quite simply we only  want to allow access to confluence through jira to approved groups.

What do we need to do ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

I'll try to explain a bit more...

All pages in a space inherit the same permissions as your space, but you can restrict them even more.

Imagine this 4 letters are groups: A, B, C, D

Imagine a space with View permission for groups A, B and C. Now I want to set some restrictions to some pages of my space, so A can see everything but B and C are going to be resticted in some pages.

Take note: If I try to give permission to a page of my space to group D I can't!. Group D hasn't access to my space, so I can't give this group any permission. So the result is this:

• A can see everything
  • B can see something
  • C can see something
  • D can't see anything

Pages permissions can restrict the permissions given by the space, but never extend them.

So, you can have anonymous access in your Knowledge Base space only, and in that space you can have even more restrictions in some pages.

Also, if you only allow access to Confluence to users in the same net, it won't affect the visibility in the portal.

So, someone who has not access to your net will have access to a reader of your Confluence space if they access to your Jira Service Desk

Result:

• If customer X tries to access your Confluence URL but has not access to your net, won't see anything
  • If this same customer goes to your Jira Service Desk and you have linked your Knowledge Base space with your Jira Service Desk instance, he will have access to that space only from the portal

So, only Jira Service Desk users which are allowed in your project (approved customer) can access this Confluence space.

Did I explain it better now?

I think we are miscommunicating.

We have a specific set of groups that should have access to our knowledgebase.

As far as I can see they have that permission.

Anonymous access is not something we are prepared to give.

As proven with different browsers, you don't need to login if you give that kind of access.

As I said, we cant give permission pr page since that is simply too much work.

We should be able to allow access to the groups - jira-servicedesk-users but it does not work.

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

I would say:

• Create a space with anonymous access linked with your Jira Service Desk project.
  • Rearrange your pages which should be anonymous accesible in that space.

And there you have it.

Arbit Support November 19, 2018

Thank you for your help.

I'm pretty sure this works but it seems this is not the problem.

Instead I'm attempting to setup a user directory control with the help of jira.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2018

Hello @Arbit Support

What's the exact error and what do you see in the logs

Nothing in the logs about the issue but here is a screendump of the errorjira-conf-missing-space.PNG

Funny thing is that I have added the application link in jira to confluence and vice versa..

Suggest an answer