Can you prepend a fixed URL to JIRA Custom Fields?

Stephen Hodgson October 31, 2012

Our JIRA system already has a few custom fields that contain references to ticket numbers that are external to JIRA (and on non-JIRA systems). These are mostly external support systems where the support team takes a call and if a bug ticket is needed, then a JIRA ticket is opened and the support ticket number is entered in the custom field.

The question is: Can JIRA be configured to prepend a fixed URL to these custom fields so that the support ticket number turns into a URL to take the user directly to the support ticket from JIRA?

The Import Id custom field for our instance is already set up like this to create a URL to our old ticket tracking system. This was done by adding a line "jira.importid.prefix=https\://myUrlHere" to our jira-config.properties file. Then just the old ticket number was entered into the custom field for Import Id. It would be ideal if I could specify a prefix like this for specific custom fields.

I also see that JIRA 5 added custom linking, so technically a plugin could be constructed to facilitate linking to the external systems. However, this is significantly higher effort than just prepending a custom field with the needed URL.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

Minimlistic approach would be to write some javascript to modify the dom and create the link, not the best solution but can be quickly implemented.

Stephen Hodgson November 28, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I did end up using the javascript method to create hyperlinks out of the custom fields. I couldn't find how to make the javascript update after an inline edit change, but it works well on page load/ready and that should be good enough for now.

After looking closer, I'm quite disappointed in the custom linking functionality. Not only would it have been more work to modify our plugin to allow creating the custom link, but I can't find any way to actually query for link data (i.e. show all tickets with a "has support ticket" custom link type). These custom links look nice on the interface, but they leave a lot of functionality to be desired - both in ease of setup and ability to query the data.

Suggest an answer